PDA

View Full Version : 76s sb hand

mike l.
06-17-2004, 06:39 AM
i have 7s6s in the sb good live 20-40 game. 2 bad loose players limp, i complete, bb checks. bb is a loose aggressive player.

the flop is Q43 w/ one spade. checked around.

the turn is 9c. checked around.

the river is 7h. i bet, bb raises, folded to me, and i call.

comments?

stoxtrader
06-17-2004, 07:28 AM
I think check/call is the play on that - certainly for my game. You stand to make more over the long haul by risking less by inducing a bluff than by making a value bet in this spot.

Of course, I'd love to see the error of my ways.

nummerfire
06-17-2004, 07:37 AM
What about betting the turn. Would they not let go around 1 time in three ?

Kim

elysium
06-17-2004, 09:16 AM
hi mike
the completion pre-flop is o.k. even though the BB will likely raise if you have a good read on the rest of the field. it doesn't hurt knowing that the BB won't raise either here. under passive conditions i like the call pre-flop because these type calls help to give you an image as being looser than you are. i don't think calling every time is warranted, maybe once every four or times you pick up something like 76s or JTo or even QTo in the SB. you do need a passive BB though.

by the way, calling a raise from the CO-1 or so with the JTo type holding out of the SB is o.k for the same reasons. it helps to develop an image as being looser than you are. making this play once a night is fine provided that the raiser is aggressive pre-flop and passive post flop. you need a passive BB that definately won't reraise here of course.

Tommy Angelo
06-17-2004, 09:56 AM
"i have 7s6s in the sb"

Would you be posting this hand had you folded it? :-)

nykenny
06-17-2004, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"i have 7s6s in the sb"

Would you be posting this hand had you folded it? :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

getting 7:1 here are usually fair odds to call for me. Although folding doesn't hurt too much, i'd say it's a -EV play in this situation. of course if BB raises a large % of times from blinds, i would reconsider. :-)

Kenny

Senor Choppy
06-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Even though I'm sure he showed you A4o and your 7s were good, this is terrible. You can't realistically expect a worse hand to call, and you can't make a better hand fold. Once you're raised, you're only hope is that someone is dumb enough to bluff-raise the river in a tiny pot that they could've easily picked up on the turn for 1/2 the price.

All you have on the river is the opportunity to induce a bluff.

andyfox
06-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Once the turn is checked around, I'd have given up on this pot unless I made the nuts on the river. Most likely nobody has a Q, a 9, a 4, or a 3. So if I make a pair of 7s with a 6 kicker, or a pair of 6s with a 7 kicker, it raises the likelihood of somebody else having a 6 or a 7 or of making a straight (although 6-5 might well have bet the flop).

OTOH . . . Did you consider 3-betting the river, since it's unlikely Mr. Aggressive has 6-5? No way I bet this river, but if I did, and he raised . . .

Clarkmeister
06-17-2004, 01:53 PM
I'd bet the flop here at least 25% of the time.

DcifrThs
06-17-2004, 02:12 PM
it may be a leak in my game but i usually call in the sb in this spot...the only thing to prevent me from calling is if i think the bb will raise too much out of his bb. then i fold...but usually call...

on the river i think with the loosie bb you should let him bet your hand and avoid the exact situation that occured.

just entice him to bluff and call him down, maybe tossing it to an overcall...(your kicker ain't worth squat)

-Barron

Luke
06-17-2004, 02:18 PM
it may be a leak in my game but i usually call in the sb in this spot...

Are any of us seriously debating mike's preflop call w/76s in an unraised pot??

DpR
06-17-2004, 02:18 PM
I think I would consider betting the flop here - although I do not play at this high a limit. Is this play not a consideration in these games?

Ulysses
06-17-2004, 02:28 PM
I think a bluff bet is more likely than a call from a worse hand or a bluff-raise, so I like check-calling here.

7-5, kicker plays?

mike l.
06-17-2004, 03:52 PM
"Would you be posting this hand had you folded it?"

yes probably even more so.

mike l.
06-17-2004, 06:00 PM
"You can't realistically expect a worse hand to call,"

youre wrong. these guys call w/ A high sometimes here, and any pair all the time.

bb showed me T7 so i was outkicked. i think i played the hand fine. he raises w/ nothing here sometimes as well as worse one pair hands that i beat. but the hand definitely made me think and i thought it might provoke some dialogue here.

mike l.
06-17-2004, 06:05 PM
"I'd bet the flop here at least 25% of the time."

i never bet the flop here and that's the fundamental difference between your regular opponents and my regular opponents, as well as my image vs. your image.

in my game it makes sense to always check this here because i will consistently be called down with any pair and they will continue to chase (regardless of tiny pot size) w/ any overcards, any backdoor draws, etc. that's also why it's such a good place for me to value bet a pair from the sb.

another reason for me not to bet draws here: it sometimes gets checked around (as it did here) by these limping loose passives (the bb was the only semi-aggro for me to consider).

Michael Davis
06-17-2004, 06:07 PM
FWIW, if anything, I agree with what you are saying. My game improved a lot when I took of the gas pedal on early position semibluffs. There are still spots in certain games, but when I think about the unbelievably high percentage of my good hands that go to a showdown, I know it is real tough to run one past these guys. And to do it, I'm going to have to keep firing, and that's unpleasant.

-Michael

andyfox
06-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Would he lay down to a 3-bet from you? It sure seems the best he could have was a 7.

mike l.
06-17-2004, 10:52 PM
"Would he lay down to a 3-bet from you?"

no way on earth would it ever cross his mind. these are not skilled players im playing against down here man. they dont lay down anything (including A high) to a 3 bet on the river ever.

SinCityGuy
06-18-2004, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bb showed me T7 so i was outkicked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a horrible player like this would have a hard time calling if you had bet out on the flop.

mike l.
06-18-2004, 01:11 AM
there's no doubt that betting the flop wouldve won me the pot right there. in this case. but read my post under clark's post and youll see why i generally dont do that in this game.