PDA

View Full Version : Why would you want to study the game??

PokerHund
06-17-2004, 05:05 AM
Does anybody realy need to study the game if they plan to play online. Expert plays won't work 99% of the time. Pots are almost always big enough to draw even to insidestraights. All you need to do is: find a table with at least 8-9 BB average pot: sit down and play tight. No need to mix it up sometimes ; almost noone will stay long enough in your game to realize what you are doing. Whenever the table becomes tight or breaks you leave. No need to stay in a TA game and fight with other winning-players for peanuts. A little observation on how the fish plays (maniac or callingst.) will do the job. There are always plenty of good games like that on all levels.

Am i right here or did i miss something ?

Oblivious
06-17-2004, 05:27 AM
How would you know how to play tight unless youve studied the game? How would you know if the game youre in is tight aggressive if you havent studied? Players do use advanced plays in low limit online games... but you wouldnt know whats going on unless youve picked up a book before.

Brian
06-17-2004, 06:02 AM
Hi PokerHund,

I agree with you, but only to a certain extent. While it's true that many expert plays "don't work" against clueless fish, there are many other types of plays which will occasionally save a pot for you or gain you one extra bet that you'll only learn if you study and apply yourself. I, for one, was a mediocre tight player back in September '03 when I started posting to this site regularly. I have no doubt in my mind to this day that at that time, I was better than 90% of the online players, and could have continued playing my game and probably have made at least a small bet per hour. However, many players have larger aspirations than that, and the only way to achieve them, even at the low limits, is to study hard and apply yourself.

-Brian