PDA

View Full Version : Two hands...weak at the end?

Zennerx
06-17-2004, 04:46 AM
Long time lurker first time poster. I mainly play 1/2 short at empire currently. Below are 2 hands where I thought I may have been to cautious on the river. Thanks for any suggestions.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">MP caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

River: (14 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17 BB, between Hero, MP and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (17 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qh Qd (three of a kind, queens).
MP shows Jd Tc (two pair, jacks and tens).
Button shows 8s Ks (high card, king).
Outcome: Hero wins 17 BB. </font>

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.50 BB, between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (9.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 9c Tc (one pair, tens).
Hero shows Js Jc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.50 BB. </font>

First hand: Should I have checkraised the turn?

I beleive im still trying to adjust my aggresion to shorthanded from full ring. Anyhow, thanks for any comments.

naphand
06-17-2004, 05:16 AM
HAND 1.
Considering this is Party $1/$2, you won't see too many players capping the flop with a flush draw, some will, but not many. You will see a lot more capping with 2-pair, so this is probably the most likely hand. That said, plenty of draw possibles here, so I think betting the Turn is essential. If your read on flop capper is that he will certainly keep betting, then you can risk a CR, but a free card here is really not a good idea.

River...hummm...mmm...bet and call a raise, the straight missed, your "cap buddy" has not improved, so you will be good the large majority of the time, and at least one guy calls here.

<font color="brown">Edit: Unless he is a flush-draw capper, in which case check/call.</font>

Turned out well for you, as you now know what the bettor bluffs and calls ( /images/graemlins/grin.gif) with. You should make a note to this effect. I think whether to value-bet this River or play safer and induce a bluff, is very read dependent. Here you are certainly playing a draw that may/may not have missed, and another player with a made hand who may bet if you check. Work on your reads, try to make the decisions based on what you know, rather than what you fear.

HAND 2.
Value bet that River.

He hit part of the flop, and then slowed down to the A. The flush missed and you beat the flopped TP. A set or AT would raise the Turn, which really only leaves KTo to worry about, which is not sufficient justification to check in this spot. Most of the time you get checked-to on the River, you are ahead. Those players who CR a River at Party $1/$2 (without a big hand) are few, make a note of those that do.

kiddo
06-17-2004, 05:27 AM
Good post, one of the main problems with SH is you must play the opponent much more then full table (at least full tables at low limits where people are paying and praying for theire draws to hit).

Hand 1:
I would probably go for a cr on turn when turncard is not at all dangerous, not thinking they will check behind, but betting is also ok.

I would bet this river close to 100% (specially if I cr turn /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Hand 2:
I would normally check this river, but Naphand is probably right: bet it.

naphand
06-17-2004, 05:37 AM
That does not mean I don't wince a bit when I make it... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zennerx
06-17-2004, 07:50 AM
Thanks to both of you. All of your points make sense and I appreciate your help. Ill be posting here more often now /images/graemlins/smile.gif