PDA

View Full Version : How does our Hero play this?

gergery
06-17-2004, 03:49 AM
Unlucky, or bad play??
What would you do on pre, flop, turn and why?
(fairly early, no good reads)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed)

UTG+1 (t105)
MP1 (t860)
Hero (t885)
MP3 (t1460)
CO (t820)
Button (t795)
SB (t85)
BB (t1035)
UTG (t1955)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t15, Hero raises to t50, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB raises to t125, MP1 folds, Hero calls t75.

Flop: (t275) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets t175, BB raises to t350, Hero calls t175.

Turn: (t975) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t975) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB bets t150, Hero calls t150.

we know the river is a terrible call..thats a gimme.

Final Pot: t1275

stripsqueez
06-17-2004, 05:35 AM
ok i'll assume the river call is bad

the only change from the flop to the river is that the flush arrived - seems a bit much to place much emphasis on your opponent hitting a flush so - not much change - i think that makes the flop bet and call bad too

what was the plan when you called the pre-flop raise ? - if it was me i would either call the pre-flop raise or push - if i called i would likely be planning to fold to a decent bet if i didnt hit the flop

as it was the flop got checked to you and you took a shot at it - thats not so bad i suppose - i think i prefer to stick to plan A and take my free card and fold to a decent turn bet - thats perhaps weak tight but i'm not in a position where i want to commit - its early and i'll probably get a better opportunity - at least thats the plan i made when i didnt push pre-flop

when my flop bet got raised i figure its like a bluff gone bad - fold - did you consider what you were going to do when you didnt hit the turn and he bet another chunk ? - call is a crap choice

so i choose not to fold to the flop raise - if thats so i like push - i dont have a call so i can draw - so i must assume i'm in front and that means push is plainly right

i think the way you played it looks bad - i think it looks bad because you didnt have any coherent idea about what was going to happen - you need to aim for good things to happen not hope that they will

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

NotMitch
06-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Fold to the flop raise, you have nothing.

mikey checks
06-17-2004, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold to the flop raise, you have nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jason Strasser
06-17-2004, 10:56 AM
This is a classic example of how to overplay ace high.

I'll let you know my thought process if I was playing this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, A.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t15, Hero raises to t50, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB raises to t125, MP1 folds, Hero calls t75.

[/ QUOTE ]

The minute the BB raises to 125 I am very nervous. AK is a great hand, but it needs help. There is a chance BB will raise with AQ, AJ (I guess that may depend on the SNG level, which you did not give), but most likely a high pair. I tell myself, "this flop better be good or I'm out of here".

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t275) J, 3, 9 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t175, BB raises to t350, Hero calls t175.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not good. The player checks to you, and he had raised you preflop. You miss the flop. Doesn't that smell bad? Don't you want a free card?

I check this through 100% of the time. You will be disgusted to see a raise if you bet. And a call will really not make you feel any better. This is a bad play.

When u get raised, you've gotta fold or push. You can't call. You are going to pot commit yourself with a draw. At this point I am so disgusted with this hand I'd chuck it. But then again, I'd never ever bet this flop in this situation.

The river call, in my view, is not at all the worst play of this hand. I mean, if you are going to bet the flop and call a raise, then why aren't you going to make this call on the river? The only way I'd make those plays on the flop is if I thought my AK was good, without improvement. So I don't think your river call is TERRIBLE, although I would never put myself in these shoes.

Hope that helped a little bit, good luck.