PDA

View Full Version : Ed's New Book

Clarkmeister
06-17-2004, 01:02 AM
I'd just like to post a quick note on "Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play" by Ed Miller, Mason Malmuth and David Sklansky.

I have now read the book twice, and some sections more than that. I can safely say that those of you who are so looking forward to this book will not be disappointed. The book is excellent.

Indeed, it addresses some topics so well that I wonder at the title. Calling it "Small Stakes Holdem" is really too limiting. The book targets loose games more than small stakes games per se. With loose games and poor playing opponents permeating B&M cardroom games from $3-6 through $40-80, this book really has something for everybody. Yes, newer players will get more from it than mid-limit veterans, but even the mid-limit players will find some critical ideas spelled out in a way that helps them improve their game.

It is an excellent blend that helps the newer players take the next big step to being significant winners, while at the same time it expounds upon and extends HPFAP in a way that addresses the super-loose games that permeate today's cardrooms. In short, it's the game that most on these forums have really been waiting for 2+2 to publish for quite some time. I expect this book to quickly move alongside Theory of Poker and HPFAP as a definitive 2+2 work.

I have no affiliation with this book, and everyone here knows I don't mind challenging Ed, Mason and David with regularity on this forum. So when I state that I think the book is excellent, it comes with no strings attached. I recommend it highly.

BottlesOf
06-17-2004, 01:15 AM
You're just a big tease.

BreakEvenPlayer
06-17-2004, 01:16 AM
We can't wait.

Clarkmeister
06-17-2004, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're just a big tease.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I just figured that people would appreciate hearing about it from someone who has actually read it. Not trying to tease.

Zeno
06-17-2004, 02:07 AM
In case some do not know, the book can be preordered.

Click 'Books'

-Zeno

SinCityGuy
06-17-2004, 02:24 AM
I had the pleasure of skimming through it a couple of nights ago when I ran into Ed at the Mirage.

I'll definitely be adding this one to my collection, and of course I plan on getting it autographed by the Noted Poker Authority.

Easy E
06-17-2004, 07:37 AM
...so I can rate the pre-order pre-delivery of the 2+2 books, just like SOME insiders can!

Tyler Durden
06-17-2004, 10:56 AM
So when does it come out?

MaxPower
06-17-2004, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had the pleasure of skimming through it a couple of nights ago when I ran into Ed at the Mirage.

I'll definitely be adding this one to my collection, and of course I plan on getting it autographed by the Noted Poker Authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

So does Ed carry it around with him where ever he goes?

J.A.Sucker
06-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Yes. He hopes to pick up a chick with it someday. The closest he's come is Clarkmeister.

MicroBob
06-17-2004, 01:51 PM
that's pretty funny.

btw, i hate you clarkmeister.
i appreciate the advance review....but i feel so, you know, teased.

zuluking
06-17-2004, 01:53 PM
It keeps saying that my cookies are disabled. But they are not, I checked. Is there a number I can call to order?

p.s. I tried it on a friends' computer, same error message came up.

Ed Miller
06-17-2004, 02:06 PM
So when does it come out?

If everything goes smoove b, July 15.

Keats13
06-17-2004, 02:30 PM
I was having the same problem. I went into the Privacy settings of IE (Tools...Internet Options, Privacy Tab, click the Edit button at the bottom) and specifically told it to allow cookies from conjelco.com. It worked after that.

slavic
06-17-2004, 02:42 PM
fyi -

Terri at the muck wants a copy.

Ed Miller
06-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Terri at the muck wants a copy.

Sweet. Say hi to her for me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tyler Durden
06-17-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If everything goes smoove b, July 15.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's my favorite part of the Onion. Hey Ed, I'll be in Vegas in three weeks, we'll have to meet up again. Sound good?

zuluking
06-17-2004, 05:55 PM
That did the trick! Thank you! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ed Miller
06-17-2004, 08:40 PM
He's my favorite part of the Onion. Hey Ed, I'll be in Vegas in three weeks, we'll have to meet up again. Sound good?

It sounds good, but I'm probably going to be out of town. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I won't be around for about a month or so beginning... basically today.

rharless
06-17-2004, 09:15 PM
How's about a book tour?

Gabe
06-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Ed owes him money and he knows he'll never get if the book doesn't sell.

Ed Miller
06-17-2004, 09:43 PM

We have a Plan B. I'm working upstairs at OG starting in August.

sublime
06-17-2004, 10:11 PM

Funny you mention it, he had it with him when I met up with him at the Mirage also. Also every time a hot chick walked by he would utter the phrase:

"In my book.............." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BeerMoney
06-17-2004, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Funny you mention it, he had it with him when I met up with him at the Mirage also. Also every time a hot chick walked by he would utter the phrase:

"In my book.............." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of a roommate I had that was recruited to play hockey in college, but never made the team.. Used to start every converation with girls with "Me and the guys on the team...."

mike l.
06-18-2004, 01:17 AM
will he have copies onhand saturday and will he take commerce chips as payment?

Clarkmeister
06-18-2004, 11:27 AM
No, he won't have copies. He may have a draft you can peruse, but nothing that anyone can keep.

Ed Miller
06-18-2004, 01:07 PM
No, he won't have copies. He may have a draft you can peruse, but nothing that anyone can keep.

Dude, you are my new spin doctor.

pokeraz
06-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Blonde on Blonde, finest album ever pressed if you ask me.

Clarkmeister
06-27-2004, 11:19 AM
With a photogenic face like this, I'm just the man for the job.

xxxbones
06-27-2004, 09:54 PM
hi

juse pre order mine can't wait.

peace out /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Joshua
06-28-2004, 04:12 PM
I've learned alot here lurking and reading Ed Miller's posts. He taught me to raise alot more preflop in loose games. I want the book now now now now!

MarkL444
06-28-2004, 04:31 PM
I am leaving for vegas on 7-23, just curious if it looks even remotely possible that I would receive the book by then. Couldn't think of anything I'd rather read on the plane.

Mark

Clarkmeister
07-15-2004, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

We have a Plan B. I'm working upstairs at OG starting in August.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I commend your new excuse for visiting OG. "I'm not going there for fun, I'm *working*."

Very nice.

ScottTheFish
07-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Heh, you posted the same thing on amazon.com as a review of Ed's book. I honestly wondered if it was you when I read it, it just seemed...Clarkmeistery. Plus David or Mason could never have worded it so well. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now I know. Anyway, cool of you to help push the book. Ed is one of the good guys and I hope he makes a fortune from it.

Clarkmeister
07-15-2004, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ed is one of the good guys and I hope he makes a fortune from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just hope he makes enough to give me the all-expenses paid night at OG that he promised me. After that, I couldn't care less.

J.A.Sucker
07-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Uh, wrong again, Clarky! How about a SECOND trip to OG?

razor
07-15-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I hope many people buy it... but very few read it... and that those who do read it spend the next 5 years debating whether or not Ed is right on points where he and Lee disagree rather than actually trying to use Ed's concepts.

ScottTheFish
07-15-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I hope many people buy it... but very few read it... and that those who do read it spend the next 5 years debating whether or not Ed is right on points where he and Lee disagree rather than actually trying to use Ed's concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont even worry about it. Most players who have read poker books dont play like the books advise anyway, IMO. Playing solid poker is boring to most people. Too much folding and waiting.

As long as people are lazy and impatient by nature, we'll be fine /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ed Miller
07-15-2004, 04:02 PM

I hope so too. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thank you, Scott..

Gamblor
07-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Speaking of which, when does your name turn <font color="red">red</font> with the admin flag like Mason and David's?

<font color="red"> Ed Miller </font>

Andy B
07-15-2004, 08:57 PM
The hell with Ed. I hope I make a fortune off of it.

Clarkmeister
07-17-2004, 04:42 PM
You should.

Blarg
07-18-2004, 07:46 PM
I look forward to everyone mis-applying it.

I bet his book inspires people to apply his advice very loosely and play lots of borderline hands for even smaller chances at a pay off at the low limit tables.

More chasers, more bluffers, more bankroll variance, more angle-shooters of all kinds if his book becomes a big seller, I'd guess.