PDA

View Full Version : Bubble play for which I was berated

Abagadro
06-16-2004, 04:15 PM
$30 SnG. I was mercilessly chastised for this play for the rest of this tourney. Background is that it became uber-tight once it got down to 4 without us having a flop for about 7 consecutive hands. I call it the John Strasser Special. Let me know what you think.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t1570)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t2890)</font>
<font color="C00000">Button (t1270)</font>
SB (t2270)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t1270 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t470.

Flop: (t2990) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2990) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2990) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2990

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ks 5c (straight, five high).
Button shows Qh Qd (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins t2990. </font>

(BTW, I didn't care about the abuse, I busted the guy giving me crap about it and went on to win it. My response to the berating was that I was indeed lucky, but that it was not a "bad play")

Prickly Pete
06-16-2004, 04:30 PM
You made a steal attempt and got caught with a reraise. It's an autocall getting 5 to 1 from the pot. Of course, you already know all of that.

My main problem is with your response to the hecklers. I'd say something like "I was feeling lucky" or "We're gambling here right?"

Abagadro
06-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Ya, I probably should have yucked it up, but it went a little beyond the usual "I can't believe that" type stuff, so I got a bit defensive. Didn't effect my play (or theirs, they basically folded away the tourney to me), but you are right.

Sam T.
06-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Is your question about your PF bet or calling the raise?

Given your description of the table as uber-tight, am I wrong in thinking that your initial bet was something of a semi-bluff in hope of stealing the blinds from EP? (In other words, when he raised you, I assume your reaction wasn't "Cool!".) As chip leader I probably wouldn't have tried it, but I'm weak tight.

As to your call, after an 800 bet, I don't think you can fold to a bet of 470.

Prickly Pete
06-16-2004, 04:40 PM
I was kind of joking, but I will take that stance sometimes. I recently won a tourney after calling with J4o in the BB (it was a given as I was shortstacked and had the odds) on the bubble and winning with it. I later beat the same guy when I raised and he called with a slightly better hand twice.

He stuck around to tell me repeatedly how "terrible" I was. I smiled.

fnurt
06-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Well, EP is also the CO, since it's 4-handed. As the big stack, at a tight table, you should definitely be stealing a lot of the time, so I couldn't criticize this attempt even if you made it with 72o.

Abagadro
06-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Call of the re-raise is automatic as I'm getting over 5-1. More asking about the initial steal from UTG with such a crap hand even with a very tight bubble table. I usually don't go this far out on steal attempts.

Prickly Pete
06-16-2004, 05:01 PM
I have no problem with the steal attempt. It's fairly tourney dependent. If I've raised the last 3 hands, I'd fold it.

Beavis68
06-16-2004, 05:07 PM
You gotta get aggressive at these levels - great play, glad you were smart enough not to fold, that I what I would have berated you on. Why were people giving you crap? I would have said "nice job"

These players are so stupid, you got them all in the money, and they are giving you crap?

when I do something like that, I just say "ouch, sorry, tough beat man"

I busted a friend out of a UB game, he had A-Q mp and barely had 2x the blind, I was in the BB, and it was folded to me, and I called with 45 flop was 4 A 4 - he wouldnt talk to be for a week. Every heard of pot odds pal?

If I were short stacked and had QQ, I would love someone to call me with K5. Those wheel straights seem to be party specials for heads-up matches.

Sam T.
06-16-2004, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, EP is also the CO, since it's 4-handed. As the big stack, at a tight table, you should definitely be stealing a lot of the time, so I couldn't criticize this attempt even if you made it with 72o.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not criticizing the steal attempt, I just wanted to be sure that I understood his play. And as I said, I'm weak tight, but trying to break the habit. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jason Strasser
06-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Man I love everything about it, except the minimum raise. I'd probably make it 1k to go or push all in depending on table dynamics. If the other big stack wanted to mix it up, I'd lean on making it 1k to go and folding to the big stacks all in...

You have to make plays like this, and is he serious about your call? Explain to him that if he showed you QQ face up you'd call with K5 given the odds.

Aggression is good. Nice play.

Chief911
06-16-2004, 07:55 PM
I agree. a tight table makes Kx a nice stealing hand. I agree with Jason that I'd probably make a bit higher of a raise, but I do your raise sometimes as well with that kind of hand.

And they dont understand poker if they are chastizing you for the CALL. You have to call here with any two cards. Now if they want to chastize you on the steal, sure, but it was a good steal too. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nick

Hood
06-17-2004, 05:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
xplain to him that if he showed you QQ face up you'd call with K5 given the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or surely don't explain that at all, but go with Prickly Pete's advise of 'I'm feeling lucky' etc. When it comes to writing comments, my general aim is to always make them feel like they're the best player at the table, they made the right play, I got lucky, and soon enough he'll show me how to play 'proper' poker.

Going off on a tangent, people are funny when it comes to these "bad beats". If a K had come on the flop you probably wouldn't have been berated, but because you got the straight people feel more angry that you 'sucked out'.

I remember one all in when I had AJs and someone else had something crap like Q7o. They hit their queen on the flop, but it was in two of my suit, and I hit the flush on river. They had the audacity to write something along the lines of "nice riv.. lucky.".

Stoneii
06-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Hood, that's common right enough, you get all-in with the best of it, they pass you on the turn and you take it back on the river and they get all uppity with you for catching!!

One guy (not in the hand) typed in a scream about my luck(in capitals too /images/graemlins/smile.gif) when I went up against the chip lead on the bubble (it was getting to be a long bubble battle) and came out in front. I went in with the best of it, he passed me and I took it back and I'm the lucky one (A9s v A7o), flop hit the 7 and turn hit the 9!!!

I too shouldn't rise to the bait but too often do. I'll learn /images/graemlins/wink.gif

G'Luck

stoneii