PDA

View Full Version : A terrible fold?

deacsoft
06-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t2400)
MP3 (t1075)
CO (t1680)
Button (t1450)
SB (t2170)
BB (t1120)
UTG (t665)
UTG+1 (t640)
Hero (t2220)
MP1 (t1975)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t100</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t350</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t350, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t640 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t290, MP2 calls t290.

Flop: (t1995) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets t1760 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Turn: (t3755) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t3755) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3755
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1995 (t1995), won by MP2.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t1760 (t1760), returned to MP2.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 shows Tc Td (two pair, tens and eights).
MP2 shows Qc Ad (one pair, eights).
Outcome: MP2 wins t3755. </font>

Do I bet the flop and see if he raises or folds. I'm pretty sure he would have came back over the top of me if I would have bet. This hand sucked /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

cferejohn
06-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Seems like a place where a read would have been good. I'm sure that if he made it to that point, he'd push here w/99 or TT since he wants to get rid of overcards. Given that he chose not to re-re-raise preflop, I'm having a hard time putting him on a better PP, frankly.

gergery
06-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Personally, I’d have gone all in on the flop, particularly if this is low buyin. Since utg+1 is all-in, that says to MP2 that you have a pretty good hand and he should stay out, so you’re pretty likely to get heads up. As shortstack utg+1 could have a wider range of hands, and even if you lose it’s only 20% of your stack.

By checking the flop, you scream “I had AK and can’t continue”. With the raising preflop I wouldn’t put anyone on an 8 and with MP2 just calling twice I wouldn’t put him on AA-KK and QQ unlikely.

sdplayerb
06-16-2004, 03:49 PM
It is an easy pushin on the flop, especially with these stacks.
KK or AA, he would already be allin. And likely the same with QQ. QQ is the only hand you can fear, but there are so many more he could have (although he really has no business in this hand with AQ).

I'd be seeing the flop if i were you and pushing on any hand without an A.

AceKQJT
06-16-2004, 05:10 PM
I think I would have been much more concerned if the flop contained 2 Aces, Kings, Queens, or maybe Tens (AK - AT may have called the raises). I can't put either of these guys on a hand with an 8 after the preflop re-raises. No way in hell I'm checking this flop...I feel pretty confident I'm ahead right now (even though UTG+1 could very well be holding a better pair). If I accidentally hit the check button, however, I think I would have to call MP's bet, as his position (last-to-act) would allow him to push on any thing from overcards to bottom pair to a pocket pair lower than the board.

That's my 2 cents,

--Casey

P.S. -- How does MP2 win the main pot with a pair of eights against UTG+1's 2 pair?

SossMan
06-16-2004, 06:52 PM
I would have reraised after the UTG went all in to isolate and get rid of hands like KQ/AQ-Ax. There are plenty of chips in the pot already to be willing to take a probable coin flip w/ the all in player.

By just calling and letting the MP2 in cheap, you asking to be bluffed off the best hand on the flop.

Given the preflop action, you have no choice but to call the flop. The guy behind you was given two chances to put in the third raise and yet just called. Does that look like QQ-AA to you? It doesn't to me. So unless he flopped quads or he has 22, you are ahead and he has anywhere from 2-6 outs.
I really think you should have bet out the flop and give him a chance to drop his overcards. Barring that, you have to call since once you check after not reraising the 2nd time preflop, its hard for HIM to put YOU on JJ-AA or an 8.

I haven't looked at the results yet, but I would guess that the UTG has a pair smaller than yours and the MP has something like AK/AQ or even KQs. Or maybe vice-versa.