PDA

View Full Version : Need help maximizing EV for A-xs hands

06-16-2004, 04:46 AM
I need to improve with A-9s and down.
This is for 10/20 games (and I assume higher limits)

Its a group 5 hand so I've started dumping it in early position because I find half the pots get raised behind me.
Good to do so?
In LP how many callers do I need before I call a raise with it?
What if I'm in the BB with A-xs and a MP raises, and only gets one caller. Is it worth me calling? Pot would be offering 5.5:1 in this instance.
If I'm on the button and almost the entire table limps in, is it now a hand worth raising, to create a larger pot for when I do hit?

Any insight always appreciate. Thanks.

Spyder
06-16-2004, 07:51 AM
I would not call an early raise with AXs.

I would consider a middle raise if there were 3 or more others who have called that raise or are going to call that raise AND you're confident it won't be 3-bet.

I almost always call a late raise, unless the raiser is tight and rarely steals.

There will be much discussion on this and many will disagree, but, it's been +EV for me so far at all levels up to 15/30.

Spyder

nykenny
06-16-2004, 09:25 AM
the best AXs strategy i have seen (IMO) is by Abdul Jalib. find his opening hand chart, it tells you what to do with A9s or A2s.

when the pot is already opened, it get much much more complicated:

1) with more than 4 limpers, you can almost always raise with AXs in LP. you do this to induce future action and buy the button.

2) with 2 or 3 limpers, you might still want to call with AXs. sometimes raise with A9s or A8s if you think u can buy the button, but i would only do this very sparingly, mainly because you are likely to be dominated if by another player holding better A.

3) with just one limper, you should often raise, if you believe you have the best hand, and or you can by the button, with A9s, A8s, or even A7s. i would be hestitant to raise an early limper though. also keep in mind how loose the blinds are. the looser (loser) they are, the less you should raise with any AXs after one limper.

that's all i have from my experience in the mid, mid-high limit loose games. in a high limit game, or very tight-aggressive game, everything changes - most of all, you should just not play there.

hope this helps,

Kenny