PDA

View Full Version : Worst move Bush has made

natedogg
06-16-2004, 02:05 AM
No it's not Iraq. I'm much more concerned about domestic policy to be honest.

Although appointing Ashcroft and passing the Patriot act are pretty far up there, I have to give Bush the blackest marks for his Medicaire bill, which most people didn't pay much attention to and has gotten little press.

This bill is an absolutely disgusting example of blatant profiteering via lobbying and congressional payouts to campaign contributors, as well as cheap pandering by Bush in an attempt to appease the liberal side of the voting bloc ( and failing anyway ) by passing disastrous egislation
that sounds good when dressed up with feel-good rhetoric.

The most shocking part of this bill is a clause that prevents the federal government from negotiating price with drug providers. That's right, they just have to pay whatever the drug provider asks. Unbelievable.

Also, Bush team lied to congress (shocker I know) about the real cost and even pressured GAO accountants to hide the true reports of the expected costs.

Medicare, like social security but in different ways, is a freakin' disaster. Unlike social security, the goal of medicare is laudable and there should be a way to do it right. This bill is a step backward, not forward. It will cost more to provide less.

To me, there are so many better reasons than Iraq to hate Bush. This is one of them.

Conservatives who think they are fiscally minded and still support Bush are completely deluded.

I prefer Kerry over Bush by only a slight margin, but this is one of the reasons why. The democrats actually opposed this ridiculous bill, which for once was the right
approach to this terribly constructed social program.

Maybe the democrats will actually wake up and fix social security too. It's funny to me that the democrats
may end up doing the right thing just to be the republican foil, and only because the republicans are trying to pass this crap to appease the liberals. Whatever works
I guess.

natedogg

GWB
06-16-2004, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Conservatives who think they are fiscally minded and still support Bush are completely deluded

[/ QUOTE ]

Conservatives agree that several measures have gone too far in terms of government spending, but they also realize that the Democrats and Kerry would spend a ton more.

A fiscal leak under Republicans is still better than a fiscal flood under the democrats. You are deluded if you think Democrats are fiscally responsible.

The greatest achievement of the 1994 takeover of congress by the GOP was that the brakes on reckless spending were applied. Congress created a big surplus, which Clinton's stock market crash and terrorism ended.

craig r
06-16-2004, 08:00 AM
are you going to join the drug discussion above? and i said "discussion" not "trade."

craig

Cyrus
06-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Because if you're talking about the worst move Bush senior did, I know what that was!

But it happened such a long time ago (how old is Dubya?) that it's unfair to drag it out against the old man.

jokerswild
06-16-2004, 12:13 PM
GWB has convinced more than one undecided to vote for Kerry.

MMMMMM
06-16-2004, 12:33 PM
"Because if you're talking about the worst move Bush senior did, I know what that was!"

Not taking Baghdad and Saddam the first time, right?

MMMMMM
06-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Come on now, jokerswild...are you certain, I mean really, really 100% sure...that the GWB posting on 2+2 isn't the real GWB?

elwoodblues
06-16-2004, 12:37 PM
A couple of his posts make me think that he's really a liberal playing a pretty good joke.

MMMMMM
06-16-2004, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"A couple of his posts make me think that he's really a liberal playing a pretty good joke."

[/ QUOTE ]

Some might say the same about the real GWB.

Boris
06-16-2004, 01:33 PM
I agree. GWB is, quite possibly, a brilliant satirist.

Philuva
06-16-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The greatest achievement of the 1994 takeover of congress by the GOP was that the brakes on reckless spending were applied. Congress created a big surplus, which Clinton's stock market crash and terrorism ended.

[/ QUOTE ]

HA HA HA. Awesome that you can really believe this. So you really think Bush is more fiscally conservative than Clinton?

Bush is a fiscal joke. Every true Republican knows this. As far as I am conerned if your not even going to get a good fiscal policy out of a Republican, what the hell good are they.

06-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Has got to be "Journeys with George." (2002)

Review of 'Journeys with George' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312848/)

Unless of course you're talking about Bush Senior, then I'd have to go with: 'The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom (1993)

CORed
06-16-2004, 03:52 PM
The reason that budgets were balanced in the clinton years was that Republicans controlled Congress and a Democrat was president. The Republican Congress kept spending in check, but Clinton's veto power kept them from cutting taxes. The opposite situation in the Reagan years (tax cuts with no control of spending) led to ridiculous deficits, as has the Republican control of both Congress and the presidency that we currently have. Of course, the strong economy in the Clinton years also helped. From the fiscal stanpoint, the best result from the next election would be for Kerry to be elected president and the Republicans to retain control of at least one house of Congress.

Cyrus
06-16-2004, 03:54 PM
"Not taking Baghdad and Saddam the first time, right?"

No, Bush senior should have pulled out earlier. Much earlier.

I'll tell you how much earlier if you tell me how old Dubya is.

Utah
06-16-2004, 06:12 PM
I agree - the Medicare bill is terrible and it is one of the reasons I will likely not vote for him (this and all the blatant spending to win votes). Many conservatives are very mad about the spending and the National Review hammered him pretty good.

GWB
06-16-2004, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Many conservatives are very mad about the spending and the National Review hammered him pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I lose because some conservatives fail to vote for me, they will regret it more than some of the Florida Nader voters regret their vote.

When it comes to spending, Democrats are much worse.

Utah
06-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Sorry Mr. President,

But you are acting like Clinton - F'ing over you core base to attract new voters. You think that your core is forced to vote for you, but you are wrong. Gore learned that lesson well and you might to.

natedogg
06-16-2004, 09:08 PM
GWB: When it comes to spending, Democrats are much worse.

Then why is it that you are outspending Clinton?
Why is it that Reagan outspent Carter?
Do you even know what you're talking about?

natedogg

GWB
06-16-2004, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GWB: When it comes to spending, Democrats are much worse.

Then why is it that you are outspending Clinton?
Why is it that Reagan outspent Carter?
Do you even know what you're talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spending always goes up, it is a matter of rate of growth. Spending increased less under Reagan than it would have under Carter, etc.

It amazes me that people actually try to suggest that Democrats would spend less than Republicans in the same circumstances. Don't forget the Dems have a whole list of programs they are waiting to create or expand.

Utah
06-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Mr. President,

Respectfully, its not much of an argument to say that your opponent would be worse. It doesnt inspire much confidence to hear, "well we sure wasted a hell of a lot of money. But thats okay because the democrats would have spent even more".

You dont here anyone in your administration saying that you have exercised strong fiscal contrant. <font color="pink"> </font>