PDA

View Full Version : Stars Rebuy Report - Saturday Night (Long)

Che
06-16-2004, 02:03 AM
When I got back from vacation last week, I took a look at this forum and virtually every thread was about the Stars 10+1 rebuy.

I decided that I wouldn't post any reports from that tourney (even though it is my bread and butter tourney), but Doug came by my table with about 12 left in this one and made me promise to do a tourney report so here it is.

So, if you're tired of hearing about the rebuy tourney, blame Doug. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, here goes...

The Rebuy Period:

Hand 5: I'm in the BB with K3o and 2940. 4 limpers, SB completes, I check.
Flop is K83, 2 spades. SB and I check. Player to my left bets 120. 2 folds. Call. Fold.
I raise to 740. Bettor folds. Caller calls (4580 when hand started - very solid player, but VERY loose during rebuy period).
Turn is a 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I push he calls.
River is J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. My 2-pair beats his nut flush draw.

Hand 21: I open-limp UTG+1 with A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif and 3160. One call then LP (~10000) raises to 540. Folded to me. I call. Other limper folds.
Flop: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I check. He bets 930. I push in for 1690 more. (It's a rebuy, right? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif) He folds.

Hand 38: Blinds 50/100. UTG (1900) minraises. Fold. I call with 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif and 5185. Folded to BB (solid loose player from first hand) who calls.
Flop: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Solid/loose SB minbets. BB calls. I raise to 500. SB calls. BB folds.
Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB bets 150. I raise to 2300. He folds. I collect 1675.

Next hand (39): I open-limp UTG+1 with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif (6110). Four folds and a minraise from a 1215 stack. Folded back to me. I call.
Flop: 72T, all /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check. He minbets. I raise to 250. He calls.
Turn: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet 850 into 875 pot. He folds.

Hand 50: 50/100. 3 limpers and SB completes. I have AQo in the BB and make it 700. Fold. Short stack (1020) types "bye all" in the chat box and pushes in. Others fold. I call.
He has 45s and I take it down. He doesn't rebuy. Love that dead money! (This is the real beauty of the 10+1 rebuy for those of you who are still wondering.)

Hand 59: MP (2870) limps. Folded to me in the BB. I check 43s and 9250.
Flop: 744 rainbow. I check. He bets 200. I minraise (my first one - Chris would be so proud!). He calls.
Turn: 6. Check check.
River: J. Still no flush on board. I bet 900. He calls and loses with JKo. Nice river.

The Real Tournament Begins:

Hand 67: Blinds 75/150. I limp UTG with 33 (13650). Call (4925). Folded to BB (6819) who checks.
Flop: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I do not have the 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Check check. Player to my right minbets. BB folds.
I call, figuring I get his stack if a 3 hits. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that one of my outs was tainted.
Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I check. He minbets again. I call. Hmmm...
River: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check. He bets 300. I go temporarily insane and minraise.
He pushes and I kick myself for inducing a possible bluff that I can't call.
I should have called or made a real raise, but I did neither. Moron.
I thought and thought and even used some of my timebank, but I finally gave him credit for the flush and folded.
He commented good fold during the next hand saying he had the best hand from the flop on.
I asked what he had - a set of queens? He said no, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I believe him but I wish he had shown it. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Hand 102: 100/200. 2 limpers, SB (~4000) completes, I check BB with 55.
Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB checks. I bet 700 into 800 pot. Folded back to SB who calls.
Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Check, I bet 1200, call.
River: K /images/graemlins/club.gif. He bets out 600. I'm betting like 97:1 to call so I call figuring he's bluffing (rather weakly) a missed flush draw (without a K) often enough to make it profitable.
I'm wrong about the flush draw, but he is bluffing a missed draw with 87o. I collect 5800.

Hand 104: Guy that had ~10000 in hand 21 has ~10000 again and minraises UTG. I call on the button with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and ~15000. Blinds fold.
Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. He minbets. I'm not impressed, but I decide to wait before making a move.
Turn: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Check check. If this was a non- /images/graemlins/heart.gif J, I probably would have bluffed. Since it is a heart, I take the free card.
River: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. He fires out 4800 into a pot of 1500. Doesn't look like a boat or the nut flush to me, plus I'll be hurt but not crippled even if it is so I "think" for a while (total Hollywood) and then push in.
In retrospect, I probably should have just called since almost all the hands I beat should fold while all the hands that beat me will call.
Amazingly, he thought for a while and then gave me the rest of his chips with 65o (the nut straight) with a flush draw and a pair on the board! Yay for me.

Hand 129: 200/400/a25. Solid aggressive player from the first couple of hands (9460) minraises after 4 folds. Folded to me in the SB with TT and 18000.
I make it 2500. BB folds. He calls.
Flop: KKJ rainbow. I bet 2400. He folds.
The real reason I posted this is to say that this was my biggest pocket pair yet and I didn't get a bigger one until there were 16 players left.
When the bigger pairs came, I won the blinds three times (2xQQ, KK) and I lost with AA v 77. Obviously, my luck in this tourney came from flopping well or betting well when I didn't flop well.

Hand 156: 300/600/a50. 2 folds. Table chip leader (37000) limps. Folded to me on the button. I call with 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (31000). SB folds, BB checks.
Flop: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. BB checks. Chip leader minbets. I minraise. SB folds. Chip leader calls.
Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Chip leader minbets again. I raise to 3200. He calls.
River: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Ugh. He bets 1800. I just call figuring he just rivered me for the bigger flush.
He shows A /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and I outkick him by one rank. Whew.

Hand 202: 1000/2000/a100. I had been moved to this table two orbits ago. I've won a few pots to move up a little, but the player to my immediate left is still a huge stack while I'm merely well above average.
Folded to me (~49000) in the SB. Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I minraise. Huge stack (81000) calls.
Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I bet 4000. He calls.
Turn: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet 6000. He folds.
Not very exciting really, but I mention it because this is a tourney report and this was one of the turning points IMHO.
From here on out, the table folded to me in the SB at least every other orbit (no one wanted to raise the big stacks, I guess), I raised every time, and he folded EVERY time.
Must have happened at least 6 or 7 times although it felt like more. Guess this explains my reaction to Chris's post about stealing looking unwise (sorry, Chris).

Hand 238: 2000/4000/a200. I've got K9 and 82000 (top ten or so) and it's folded to me in the CO. I open for 10000. Folded to BB who pushes in for 9100 more.
I quickly call and bust his AK when the board comes 6K9K3. It sucks to be a short stack with all those bullies around! /images/graemlins/mad.gif Oh wait, I got to be the bully this time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hand 288: 6000/12000/a600. Folded to SB (217000) who completes. I check 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (185000).
Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. He minbets. I call.
Turn: T /images/graemlins/club.gif. He checks. I bet 42000. He folds. Beauty.

Hand 296: 10000/20000/a1000. UTG goes allin for 42000. Folded to me in the BB (225000). I call the extra 22000 with J6s.
He dies with his AK when a 6 flops. It does suck to be a short stack.
I'm always amazed at how many big stacks would have folded this despite getting 4:1 from the pot.

Hand 297: 10000/20000/a1000. Folded to me in the SB (282000). I have A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (not that it mattered preflop) and make it 50000.
New player to my left (264000) calls.
Flop: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I bet 80000. He calls.
Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I push in (151000 into 266000 pot, but he only had 133000 left to call). He folds. Guess I convinced him I had an A with the second bet.
This was my riskiest play of the tourney prior to making the top 3. Glad he didn't have a big A or 2-pair.

Hand 309: 10000/20000/a1000. I raise from UTG+1 with AJo (420000). Opponent from hand 288 (248000) who I have taken several pots off while only losing one to him calls the extra 30000 from the BB.
Flop: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. He checks. I minbet. He raises to 120000. I make it 220000. He folds.

Hand 311: 15000/30000/a1500. I believe I was chip leader at this point (606000). Guy with 437000 limps from MP. Folded to me and I check the BB with 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Flop: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check. He bets 30000. I make it 100000. He calls.
Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I bet 80000 into pot of 287000. He folds.

Hand 348: Final table starts. Around this time I looked at my stats and noticed that I have won 72 pots - 60 without showdown - at this point. It's nice when the aggression actually induces folds.

Hand 351: 20000/40000/a2000 from here on out. Folded to SB (143000) who minraises. I've got 715000 and reraise so he has to call his last 15000 or whatever.
He shows 77 and I show my AA, but a 7 comes on the turn and I double him up.

Hand 360: Short stack (107000) pushes from MP. Folded to me in the BB (803000 - second place).
I call (getting 3:1) with T8o. He shows A6o.
A T and a 6 flop so I'm ahead even before I river my straight.
Down to 8. I don't think any more short stacks jammed it against my BB. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hand 394: 5 left. I'm in last (only wins since hand 360 were blind steals) with 632000 but one double will make me the chip leader.
First and third place fold then second place (1.1MM) makes it 200000. SB folds.
I have AJo which is probably not the best hand, but I think he has a medium pair based on my read and I also believe he will fold a medium pair to an allin.
I push and he does fold. Whew.

Actually, this may have been my riskiest play prior to making the final three - I'm not sure. In any case, this was the first time (post-rebuy) that I put all my chips in when someone actually had enough to call me. (Hand 297 would have crippled, but not eliminated, me.)

Hand 401: 3 handed play starts, but I've already covered the rest in my other post. For those who haven't read it, I eventually chopped 50/50 after the third place guy was eliminated.

So there ya have it!

Later,
Che

DougBrennan
06-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Jeez, who wants to read another one of these Stars rebuy reports? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I decided that I wouldn't post any reports from that tourney (even though it is my bread and butter tourney), but Doug came by my table with about 12 left in this one and made me promise to do a tourney report so here it is.

So, if you're tired of hearing about the rebuy tourney, blame Doug.

I guess there's no way out of making some sort of response, huh?

Hand 21: I open-limp UTG+1 with A Q and 3160. One call then LP (~10000) raises to 540. Folded to me. I call. Other limper folds.
Flop: 4 K T . I check. He bets 930. I push in for 1690 more. (It's a rebuy, right? ) He folds.

My only comment here is I can't BELIEVE someone folded to this raise during the rebuy period. Quick and dirty math says there'e almost 3000 in the pot that he can call for 760. Wow is all I can say.

Hand 104: Guy that had ~10000 in hand 21 has ~10000 again and minraises UTG. I call on the button with K 9 and ~15000. Blinds fold.
Flop: 2 3 2 . He minbets. I'm not impressed, but I decide to wait before making a move.
Turn: J . Check check. If this was a non- J, I probably would have bluffed. Since it is a heart, I take the free card.
River: 4 . He fires out 4800 into a pot of 1500. Doesn't look like a boat or the nut flush to me, plus I'll be hurt but not crippled even if it is so I "think" for a while (total Hollywood) and then push in.
In retrospect, I probably should have just called since almost all the hands I beat should fold while all the hands that beat me will call.
Amazingly, he thought for a while and then gave me the rest of his chips with 65o (the nut straight) with a flush draw and a pair on the board! Yay for me.

My biggest hole is calling too often, but even so, I am constantly amazed at some of the calls I receive in this tourney. My usual spoken reaction is "Well tha-a-a-ank you!!"

Hand 348: Final table starts. Around this time I looked at my stats and noticed that I have won 72 pots - 60 without showdown - at this point. It's nice when the aggression actually induces folds.

This was the real reason I asked Che to write a report. I had been sweating him awhile, considerably before I said hi, and in about an 50 hands I must have seen him win 20 without a showdown, raising his stack from about 200,000 to 800,000. It was a very pretty combination of aggressive stack-wielding on his part, combined with some weak play by his oopponents.

And what I wanted to know was...so did you have ANY cards during that period, or was it all BS? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good tourney Che, nice report.

Doug

Che
06-16-2004, 11:59 PM
Doug-

Thanks for the response. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My only comment here is I can't BELIEVE someone folded to this raise during the rebuy period. Quick and dirty math says there'e almost 3000 in the pot that he can call for 760. Wow is all I can say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said wow at this point and at least 50 other times during this tourney. Like I told you when you came by my table - "you won't believe it" when I write the report: no big pot suckouts, no doubling up on big pairs, only one set (and I folded it to what I thought was a flush) - just fold, fold, fold. Unbelievable.

[ QUOTE ]
It was a very pretty combination of aggressive stack-wielding on his part, combined with some weak play by his oopponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the tournament in a nutshell.

[ QUOTE ]
And what I wanted to know was...so did you have ANY cards during that period, or was it all BS?

[/ QUOTE ]

As memory starts to fade, I was wondering that myself so I went back and looked at the part of the hand history that I'm guessing you're referring to.

There were a couple of hands I won with total BS, but I was stealing from the button or SB so they weren't BS plays - just correct use of the gap concept by a big stack.

On the others, I usually had one pair (frequently weak kickers, though), a couple of times a big draw, and one total bluff that I didn't complete until my turn bet.

Basically, my cards were neither great nor terrible, but it was obvious that everyone was taking the gap concept to the extreme so I took advantage of it whenever my opponents showed any weakness if I had anything at all. And in this particular tourney, a check or call at any point during the hand was generally a sign of weakness. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks again for the support, Doug.

Now it's your turn again...

Che