PDA

View Full Version : Omaha8 conundrums...

manku
06-16-2004, 12:49 AM
Played in a $50 PS Omaha8 tourney just now...finished 12th out of 90. However, I never had a run and a bunch of chips.

Anyway, a hand.

Dealt AA99 double suited in SB. I have about $4K, limits are 800-1600.

A couple callers...even though I don't really like my hand (no low draw), I feel I must call. A raise is bad idea? BTW, everyone playing has me covered by 2X or more.

Flop: 2-4-10, two to my suit. I check, as does the table. Should I have bet with my overpair/nut flush draw? BTW, I normally would in a limit ring game.

Turn:5, now giving me two nut flush draws.

I check, MP bets everyone folds to me.

I figure I have 18 outs, though not all clean. Pot is laying about the right price.

Do I call, hoping to split (of course, he could be bluffing/high hand) giving me under $1500 chips or fold?

Thanks.

Manku

curmudgeon
06-16-2004, 09:09 AM
2 callers, tournament, small stack
I raise pre-flop, bet the flop, and go for it all here!
Dare em to beat you............

Sounds crazy, I know.....it is....but it just might work!

Post this in the "Other Poker" section and you will get more responses.

==================

LITANY AGAINST FEAR

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear - From Frank Herbert's Dune Book Series
© 1965 and 1984 Frank Herbert

37offsuit
06-16-2004, 09:34 AM
With the blinds so high, you have to find a hand that you like and go to the mat with it, either double or tripling up, or getting busted. Sure you want to do this with a hand that has a great high and low, but double pair/double suited will do just fine, since the chance of you getting a better opportunity is slim.

The key in this situation is that since you're only playing for the high side, you have to get your chips in early when people are more likely to call. If you can get a few callers preflop, and then again on the flop, you'll have a nice pot there, even if you end up splitting.

What shape are you going to be in if you fold this hand now with nearly half the deck in clean outs for the nut high?

In O8, having someone covered by 2Xs isn't much. One hand changes all that at this level. You see people with 5K at the start scoop the high and the low to replace the chip leader.