PDA

View Full Version : 9-18 hand

11-06-2001, 12:34 AM
here's a 9-18 hand i played last night at commerce club.

im in the cutoff with K2d in a loose-passive 8 handed game. 3 people limp to me and i limp, button limps, blinds call.

7 handed we see the flop which is QJ6 w/ one diamond. sb bets, everyone calls, i call and button calls.

the turn is the Ks (rainbow). sb checks, bb bets, folded to me, i raise, button and sb fold. bb calls.

river is a 3. he checks, i check.

any comments are very welcome.

11-06-2001, 03:01 AM
Mike,

I don't like the preflop call even though the game type makes it not terrible. I'm not saying that I've never made the same call, but I think with a hand like this, even being one off the button could make it that much more troublesome. I also think the call on the flop is very marginal as you can't be sure that the button won't reopen the action. Besides, you can pick up a draw that makes someone the nuts or make someone the nut flush draw. Hitting the K doesn't seem so great as you are very likely up against a better hand if only a better K, which would leave you without very many(or any) outs. I like the raise on the turn better than a call but not better than a fold, I can't see where you would have the best hand very often. Still, I might guess that you won this hand, if so, glad you took it down, but I would suggest avoiding these situations, you will not win this hand(especially the way it went down) very many times.

Mike

11-06-2001, 03:52 AM
I agree that the call before the flop is marginal at best (especially at Commerce where the games are almost always agressive), but I think the call on the flop is pretty bad. All there is to go on is a weak overcard and two backdoor draws. These kinds of calls really add to fluctuations and money lost in the long run.

11-06-2001, 03:58 AM
K2s? We could debate whether K2s is a worth a call pre-flop but there is no clear-cut answer here. I'd need at least two more callers to play it. In general Kxs is a hand I'm mucking much more often than I used to. It's a weak hand.

Your call on the flop is very loose. Much too loose. Money-losing loose. If you don't flop a four-flush with K2s, the hand has very little value.

When you don't pick up a diamond on the turn, it's time to fold. When the BB unexpectedly shows strength when the K comes on the turn, it's hard to believe he can't beat K2.

11-06-2001, 10:06 AM
Preflop, there is a time and a place for Kxs. Is this it? Three limpers seems not enough, although in the loose passive game you describe, it can't be a very big mistake to expect the three behind you not to raise and for you go for a flush draw. Then again, it is only 8 handed driving this marginal hand's value down a little.

Flop, you are in this to flop a flush draw, and you do not. However, I too would likely peel one off, getting 12:1 to see a diamond, K, or T fall on the turn. Now the beauty of hindsight analysis. The K and T that give you a straight draw may complete someone else's straight. Hopefully you peeked at the button and felt he would not raise. I think there are a LOT of hands I would raise with on the button here, trying to see the river cheaply on a draw and that has to be considered for your call. Could it be this flop call cost you two big bets?.

Turn & river, having gotten this far, I like your raise, as it puts in your turn and river bets, gives you a shot at the pot now, and lets you easily fold to a raise or river bet when you don't improve. Maybe bb lays down a weak K, but I doubt it as he called the flop bet out of position - he likes his hand. Checking behind on the river when you don't improve is also good.

Looking forward to the results and any comments by you.

11-06-2001, 02:40 PM
If you think you have the best hand more than 2 times out of 10 here, your raise on the turn is a good play. If BB's a passive player, your odds probably aren't nearly that good, however. It's mostly a judgement call regarding how opportunistic (maybe "suicidal" is more accurate /images/wink.gif) you think the BB would be with a Q J and/or straight draw here when the whole field is left to call him after he bets.

11-07-2001, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't play that hand in the first place. Although a lot of experts/players say in a loose-passive game, to play any two suited cards in late position is most of the time a good play, I won't play em.

Reason being...if the flop doesn't flop a flush draw for me, but drops a K, I am tempted to stay in the hand, although I am probably beat with my weak kicker.

I disagree with playing ANY 2 suited cards...unless you are in the blinds.

Billy