PDA

View Full Version : Poker Riddle

RoodyPooh
06-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Stumbled upon this riddle while at work, thought some people here could have fun with it...

In this variation on the game of Poker, two people play as follows: Player 1 takes any 5 cards of his choice from the deck of 52 cards. Then player 2 does the same out of the remaining 47. Then player 1 may choose to discard any of his cards and replace them from the remaining 42. Then player 2 may discard any of his cards and replace them, but he may not take player 1's discards. ALL of the transactions with the deck are public knowledge, unlike the real game of Poker.

After this process, the winner is the one who has the better 5 card poker hand.

Because of the clear advantage of player 1, the win is given to player 2 if the hands are equal in strength.

Which player would you rather be? What strategy do you use?

Morbo
06-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Player 1? Haven't really thought this one over, but a short glimpse tells me I should be #2, here's why:

If player 1 is stupid enough to pick a royal flush, I just take one myself and win. So, I guess my opponents best pick would be four aces, since I can't pick a royal flush then. Naturally, player #1 picks this with intention of discarding and drawing himself the only possible royal flush on his draw later on.

Now, I'll pick four kings. My opponent's best hand can at this moment be a straight flush, queen high. Then when it's my time to discard, I just give myself a straight flush, king high.

EnderW27
06-15-2004, 01:31 PM
I'd rather be player one and take four 10s and an ace. Now my opponent can't make a royal flush but I can.

Morbo
06-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Then I'll be player 2. I pick four kings and an ace. your turn.

EDIT: perhaps you're right. you can just pick a straight flush, ten high, which I can't counter.

Ed Miller
06-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Which player would you rather be? What strategy do you use?

I just finished reading that book too. I thought it was cool myself.

Mano
06-16-2004, 04:32 AM
In that case he could pick a queen high straight flush

ZeeJustin
06-16-2004, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather be player one and take four 10s and an ace. Now my opponent can't make a royal flush but I can.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sounds like an unbeatable strategy to me.

EnderW27
06-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Well, as player 1 I could pick a queen high straight flush if he went 4 kings. But he can't because I own all the tens.

jacki
06-16-2004, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You couldn't always get a royal, but you'd still win with this strategy.
Player 2 would draw 4 Jacks and a 9.
Player 1 would then always win with a 10-high straight flush, beating Player 2, who would then draw a 9-high straight flush.