PDA

View Full Version : Poker ethics question

ChicagoTroy
06-15-2004, 11:23 AM
I was playing in a $6-12 game at Ameristar in St. Louis this weekend, and I saw an interesting phenomenom. This game consisted mostly of about half tight-aggressive regulars (some very tight) and half very bad players. I was chatting with strong player to my immediate left, and once I made some good plays, he did something strange. Almost every time he was going to raise preflop, he acted out of turn, right after I looked at my own cards. Knowing that I had to call two bets rather than one, I obviously had a big advantage and folded my 1-bet hands. The other trio of strong players were seated next to each other on the other side of the table, doing the same thing. The know-nothing players never complained, and the dealer never warned anybody for acting out of turn. The game turned into a strong player isolating one or two knuckleheads who would call with damn near anything, with the other strong players staying out of his way.

This struck me as unethical, since the guy to my right was buddying up to me in a way that violates the rules. It also greatly increases the advantages of strong players. Am I way off on this? Has anybody else seen this behavior and do you consider it collusion?

obex
06-15-2004, 05:59 PM
If said player is letting the "bad players" limp and then raises just in time for the "good players" to fold, then yes it would seem to be collusion. I am surprised no one drew attention to it if it kept happening over and over again.

dogmeat
06-15-2004, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure if I exactly understand what happened here - are you sure you were not one of the ones getting hustled? I know you say you folded your one bet hands...........and if I could get you out of all "my" pots by acting early (except when you had a very good hand) I think I could win a lot of money, especially if all the "good" players were also folding and I could outplay the "bad" players on all later streets. What do you think?

As for unethical, if it was intentional - it sucks, but I still think you were one of those being hustled.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

ZeeJustin
06-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Knowing that the person after you is going to raise should be a big advantage for you. Start limp reraising hands like AQo and 99.

Oblivious
06-16-2004, 01:39 AM
this happened to me one time. this girl playing to my left took a liking to me and started to mumble "raise" before i acted. its collusion.