PDA

View Full Version : A version of the stop and go pulled on you?

steeser
06-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Got into a $500 Stars single table tourney last night. We were down to 6 players, and I was in 5th chip position with T1675. Most pots were being taken without a flop, either with a raise, or a re-raise. I'm UTG and pick up J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I've been playing very tight and haven't opened in at least an orbit. Blinds are T100/T200 and I raise to T600. Folded around to the big stack in the BB (T4700) and he calls.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and he pushes in, making me call all-in for my last T1075.

What's your move?

Results in white below:
<font color="white"> After thinking about it for a while, I felt like I had odds to call. When I did, he turned over 5c5d, and I had more outs than I knew what to do with. Unfortunately I didn't know how to find any of them, and I missed them all on the turn and river. After the flop I was actually about 62%. I realize that I could have been in a bad way, but it looked like a move to me, and if he had the made hand he would have let me commit my own chips to it.</font>

Jason Strasser
06-15-2004, 09:44 AM
So you have ~T1600, you are UTG with J9o, and that's when you pick your spot to make a move? I don't care about your image, you fold this crap and find a better spot. Push with 23o when its folded to you in MP--much better IMO. Here you are extremely vulnerable.

On the flop, easy call in my book. You have to figure your diamond draw, and straight draw is good--and your jack and nine may be good as well.

But please, find a spot better to pull this PF stuff. I can't imagine stuff like this makes you money in the long run.

steeser
06-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Point taken, but in this case I felt that the odds of picking up the T300 in blinds was worth the risk. When he called, I anticipated him moving in on the flop, and got a flop that gave me a ton of outs, so I felt like I had to call at that point.

The table had also been VERY tight, and I decided that it was time to loosen up and pick up some chips. Being UTG it was less likely to look like a steal then on the button. I was planning on opening with nearly any two cards in this situation, given what I felt my odds were of picking up the blinds.

Being results based, I wish I had folded it, but I thought it was a reasonable play. If I fold it and then don't get to play my blinds (a very possible scenario with the big stack willing to raise my BB and SB from the button and CO respectively) then I am down to T1375. While I know this isn't dire, it's getting into all-in or fold position.

But thanks for the response.

fnurt
06-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Based on your read of the table, it might be ok to steal here, but you have a much better chance of picking up the blinds if you push all-in. I don't think betting over 1/3 of your stack and then folding to a reraise is a great game plan, so you're committed anyway. And with a raise like this one, the big stack is going to see it as a cheap call even with hands like JT and Q9 (which, unbeknownst to him, you would hate to see).

I imagine the big stack would have called you with 55 anyway but that's not the point.