PDA

View Full Version : hand calcualtor vs true odds

JAque
06-15-2004, 12:19 AM
I use this hand calculator for this question at this site:
calculator (http://www.internettexasholdem.com/starthand/starthand.php)

The hand in question was 77 late position vs a raised pot with 3 players .

The true odds of flopping a set are 7.5 to 1 (which I will probably need to win) it recommends to call. My question is , does the advice takes into account implied odds, possibility of winning with a straight and position? There are 6xBB in the pot and is offering me 3 to 1 to call. Is this the right call from the pure odds point of view? I will make this call many times from the implied odds point of view when I flop a set, however I wonder if it stricly correct and also why having a 66 in the same position is a fold.

thanks

JAque

donkeyradish
06-16-2004, 09:23 AM
One of the considerations is that some % of the time you'll be up against another pair. (This is a raised pot, after all)

Another is that 77 could be top pair and win, more often than 66.

And so, the bigger your own pair is the better.

JAque
06-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks. However, I still question if this is a proper call if you don't know anything about the other 3 players, is this the proper call form the pot odds point of view or I need more information in order to make this call (like what hands the raiser is likely to have, etc).

johnny caravan
06-16-2004, 07:17 PM
That's why these hand calculators are just advisors. They can give you scenarios, but not every detail of a hand.

If you're in a loose game where someone will raise in EP with AJ, and there are 3 callers, what would you do with your 77 in LP. I wouldn't necessarily fold.

Also, using that same scenario, you might not need to flop a set, because your 77 might be good, if your the only one holding a pair.