PDA

View Full Version : Universal SNG results/stats Spreadsheet

AleoMagus
06-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Well, as promised in an earlier thread, I have modified my spreadsheet to accomodate any sng buy-in.

Universal Spreadsheet (http://www.aleomagus.freeservers.com/Spreadsheet)

There may be problems with it still, and I have not implemented all the stats calculations that I want to (yet).

So, anyways, take a look at it and if any of you spot any bugs or errors let me know here. Also, let me know if there are any questions.

Remember, the only fields which should be filled in are the Grey 'Entries' fields. The rest will all happen automatically. (the 25 entries results included are just made up samples and should be deleted)

Any feedback would be appreciated

Regards
Brad S

eastbay
06-15-2004, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, as promised in an earlier thread, I have modified my spreadsheet to accomodate any sng buy-in.

There may be problems with it still, and I have not implemented all the stats calculations that I want to (yet).

So, anyways, take a look at it and if any of you spot any bugs or errors let me know here. Also, let me know if there are any questions.

Remember, the only fields which should be filled in are the Grey 'Entries' fields. The rest will all happen automatically. (the 25 entries results included are just made up samples and should be deleted)

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work. I have my own that's somewhat similar.

For making running graphs, you can define "names" that use that OFFSET and COUNTA functions to dynamically change the source data as you enter new results.

eastbay

Bobby Digital
06-15-2004, 01:49 AM
I am excited over a spreadsheet. /images/graemlins/frown.gif What has poker done to me?

Thanks for putting this up, your work is appreciated. I was far too lazy to do something similar.

La Brujita
06-15-2004, 01:55 AM
Thanks for putting this up. I was trying to figure out how to do this a few months ago but am excel-phobic. This is a big help.

Do you happen to have anything like this for multis? If you don't no biggie I was just curious (not trying to be greedy or anything).

Regards

benjdm
06-15-2004, 02:15 AM
I'd really love to check it out, Aleo, but it says I don't have permission to download or something. Am I the only one having a problem ? Thanks for all your work we freeloaders enjoy !

eastbay
06-15-2004, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd really love to check it out, Aleo, but it says I don't have permission to download or something. Am I the only one having a problem ? Thanks for all your work we freeloaders enjoy !

[/ QUOTE ]

I got that when I shift-clicked on it. If I just clicked, it just downloaded automatically.

eastbay

Cptkernow
06-15-2004, 05:19 AM
Nice one.

Good job and thanks.

Hood
06-15-2004, 06:59 AM
Looks good. I took the one you posted last week and modified it to do a very similar thing.

Out of interest, where is the field Entries!H11 used? (Avg # Simultaneous tourneys')? Can't find a reference to it.

One change I think you could make is to remove the 'day' field (this can be calculated with the WEEKDAY function). Also, I prefer filling in the start and finish time rather than the start and duration (the less maths I have to do the better).

eastbay - could you explain a bit more how the 'running names' thing works, or perhaps give an example? Very interested in how you get that to work.

AleoMagus
06-15-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of interest, where is the field Entries!H11 used? (Avg # Simultaneous tourneys')? Can't find a reference to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once all the durations are summed, I divide the total by this figure when calculating $/hr. For example, if the total durations of all my tourneys are 1200 minutes, but I play 2 simultaneously (on average), it becomes 600 minutes when figuring hourly rate

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I prefer filling in the start and finish time rather than the start and duration (the less maths I have to do the better).

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I have it this way is actually so that I can avoid doing math and thinking too much. This is because I just fill in 45 minutes for ALL my tourneys no matter how long they take. I have been more precise in the past, but it just works out to an average anyways and these days I am focusing a lot more on individual tournament profit - And quality of play.

A truly precise spreadsheet would not even ask what the average number of simultaneous tourneys is, but would automatically calculate the actual time played based on start and finish times (as you suggest), ignoring overlap from multiple tourneys. It could also automatically calculate a 'true' average # of simultaneous tourneys.

Regards
Brad S

Sandwich
06-15-2004, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW. I should start keeping better notes.

Nepa
06-15-2004, 05:43 PM
nothing personal but if you have 40 bucks why not buy pokertracker. You don't really have to enter anything. Just import the emails and tourament histories.

Hood
06-15-2004, 06:14 PM
One reason is that it doesn't work in ladbrokes, which is one of the sites I play on.

Secondly, from what I hear, it doesn't give the stats or flexability that my spreadsheet does.

Hood
06-15-2004, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason I have it this way is actually so that I can avoid doing math and thinking too much. This is because I just fill in 45 minutes for ALL my tourneys no matter how long they take. I have been more precise in the past, but it just works out to an average anyways and these days I am focusing a lot more on individual tournament profit - And quality of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe - the reason I'm recording them is so I know the average time per tourny :-) I haven't played enough to grasp this yet. Also interested in time difference between going out 1st, 2nd, ... 10th, in the hope that it should shed some light on how agressive I should be early on in terms of hourly rate.

[ QUOTE ]

A truly precise spreadsheet would not even ask what the average number of simultaneous tourneys is, but would automatically calculate the actual time played based on start and finish times (as you suggest), ignoring overlap from multiple tourneys. It could also automatically calculate a 'true' average # of simultaneous tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I just got happy with my spreadsheet and then you set me a task like that! Back to the drawing board... this could get tricky /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

Hood
06-16-2004, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work. I have my own that's somewhat similar.

For making running graphs, you can define "names" that use that OFFSET and COUNTA functions to dynamically change the source data as you enter new results.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

After a bit of search, I found stuff about this on the 'net:

Dynamic Name Ranges (http://www.beyondtechnology.com/geeks007.shtml)
Charting Dynamic Data (http://www.beyondtechnology.com/geeks021.shtml)

benedetti
09-11-2004, 05:28 AM
Hi,

I would like to have this spreadsheet but I am getting an error message. Could you sort it out for me, please? Take your time, there's no hurry. Thanks.

AleoMagus
09-11-2004, 09:49 AM
This is actually not the newest/best spreadsheet thread. The spreadsheet has since been expanded and modified and you should have no trouble getting it through this link:

http://www.tilthappens.com/files/2Plus2SNGV2.zip

I think my original is still on my site if you need that one (2-table, 3-table, or 6 player SNGS) but you probably cannot link to it and get it to download.

Manually go to

http://www.aleomagus.freeservers/Spreadsheet

and it should work

The tilthappens link is better for single table SNGs though so that might be all that you need to solve your problems

Regards
Brad S

benedetti
09-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks very much. Great work. I will put a link on my website if you don't mind.

LinusKS
09-11-2004, 06:05 PM
In the "Daily" tab I get a list of dates from Aug 1st to Aug 31st.

Is there an easy way to change that, and can I change it to show several months at a time?

deuces09
09-11-2004, 10:27 PM
AM,

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this. It'll be a big help for me until I get pokertracker a few months from now.

Cheers!

AleoMagus
09-12-2004, 03:56 AM
I believe that the only reason you are seeing those dates is because they happen to be the sample dates listed in the entries page. If you input your own results, it should automatically change as you need it to.

Also, I think when I last checked there was a full year of daily results spaces, but you will need to scroll down in order to see them all.

(I actually didn't check that spreadsheet so I may be wrong but if memory serves, this is correct)

Hope this helps

Brad S

KJ o
09-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Great work, all of you. Thanks!

One question: Cell C20 in the Conf sheet lists the probability that my actual profit/tourney is between 0 and 2*actual ROI/tourney so far. Does that mean that the probability that I am a winning player is (c20+(1-c20)/2), i.e. there is equal probability on either side. Or is there skewness or kurtosis suggesting that's not the case?

Or don't I know what I'm talking about at all? A distinct possibility...

LinusKS
09-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Thank you. I'd been using an old version without realizing it. Version 2 is much improved.

I especially like the new charts - they're easier to read and size to the length of your results. (Very nice.)

FYI, the "Daily" page is still set to ten-person sng's - it'll give out inflated results if you're playing Stars.

The only way I know to fix it is to change the formulas by hand. (So if someone knows an easier way, let me know.)

Again, Aleo, thanks for the work. For my money (ha!) it's better than PT.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the only reason you are seeing those dates is because they happen to be the sample dates listed in the entries page. If you input your own results, it should automatically change as you need it to.

Also, I think when I last checked there was a full year of daily results spaces, but you will need to scroll down in order to see them all.

(I actually didn't check that spreadsheet so I may be wrong but if memory serves, this is correct)

Hope this helps

Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

AleoMagus
09-13-2004, 03:25 AM
You are correct

My initial calculation for 'Winning' Confidence was really meant as kind of an approximation. Strictly speaking, it is nothing more than the probability that you actually earn between 0 and 2ROI per tourney.

I was really just learning about stats at the time I devised it and the calculation was simpler this way. Later I came up with the exact formula you suggest and thought a lot about changing it. In the end, I didn't for a few reasons.

1) SNGs do not follow a normal distribution. The calculations are ALL kind of an approximation and I figured that as it is currently, I am on the conservative side (which I prefer)

2) Did I really want to add confidence to the typical 30% ROI player just in case they are acually earning more than 60% ROI? Not Really. I guarantee that they aren't. I know the stats still should work this way (just as they can assign a probability that you get less than -100% ROI which isn't possible) but I just couldn't bring myself to change it.

Truth be told, it should probably be changed. While not really necessary or even appropriate for 30%+ ROI players, it might make real sense for players with 10% ROI or less. I suppose there is a real probability that they are in fact getting more than 20% ROI and this additional confidence might be pretty meaningful in their case.

I'd be interested in any thoughts
Brad S