PDA

View Full Version : Having the Nuts on the River

11-02-2001, 12:51 PM
When should one raise or not raise with the nuts on the river? Last night I made the nut straight on the river with five players seeing the river. I was second to act and was bet into on the river. I have a reputation within this game for being willing to raise on the river sometimes on a nearly complete steal. It has work some though not always.

In this case I raised on the river and all folded except the initial better who called. Is there some general rule as to when it is more profitable to just call in this sort of situation?

11-02-2001, 01:52 PM
Depending on the texture of your game, I would assume only one other person will call at most, so you are probably safe in raising and not losing a bet. If you have witnessed situations with many callers on the river, maybe you want to just call 5 handed. 4 handed, I would still probably raise.

11-02-2001, 03:47 PM
it depends a lot on the board, how obvious it may look to the others that you have the nuts or near nuts, how likely it is that they have a hand strong enough to overcall or call two cold. how likely is it that another player, especially the initial river bettor, has the same hand?

is your straight here a one card straight? is it broadway? is it a funky small card straight? a gutshot? these things all matter.

have you played the hand like you are on a draw or like you had a made hand all along?

in general, many good (but not great) players dont go for overcalls often enough. they lose money by just automatically raising when they have the nuts or near nuts.

11-02-2001, 04:49 PM
If you are considered a tight player you should call. If you are considered a loose player you should call. If you are considered an an aggressive player you should raise. If you are considered a beginner you should understand that this doesn't happen very often!

11-02-2001, 06:09 PM
You should always raise with the nuts.

11-02-2001, 06:21 PM
I disagree... you should always raise if that will make you the most money. Often on the river I expect it won't make a difference because for example a third player will overcall if I just call, but will fold to a raise while the bettor calls. But sometimes you clearly will make more money by going for the overcall and others you'll clearly make more money by raising. The money to be made is what determines your move... like any poker decision really...

11-02-2001, 10:48 PM
i agrre with mike getting those loose calls is how you make money if you call you got 4-1 chance of pay offs minus the one bet you loose by calling the original bettor not having to pay off your raise but by raising maybe you get cold calls? ilke the calling option it should pay off better here