PDA

View Full Version : trying to push people off hands

10-31-2001, 11:26 PM
Greetings,

Here are a few 10/20 hands where I tried to push people off some hands. All comments welcome.

1) I limp UTG w/ 55. in a full game, I expect multiway action but unfortunately late

position player raises all fold except me ( I call).

FLop is J 9 3 rain bow. I check he bets I raise , he just calls.

Turn is

another small card I bet (to try and get him off his AK or AQ), he just calls.

River is another blank. I figure I made a big mistake and he is not

laying down his medium pair and check, he checks. AK, he of course proceeds to berate me for my horrible play but I can't help but think he really should lay down on the turn!

2)6 handed game. One guy is running over the table and no

one

is playing back and he wins most of his hands by the turn. I am irritated as

no one ever plays back, but I really shouldn't be mad.

He raises once again. I have 88 and reraise all fold he calls.

Flop 944. He bets I raise he reraises. I just call.

Turn is a 2.

He bets I call. (I didn't think I shoudl raise here, but considering his nonsense I just decided to make a

stand

here and not fold (too stubborn or good move?)).

River another 2. He checks, I check.

Should I vaule bet as I suspect he will call w/ an A but I wimp out considering how strongly he played it, but would he really checkraise here?

He turns over AK and leaves for a long time. (I cannot help but think ,"youve got to be kidding me, the one time you have a legitimate hand and you

are

going to act like this was a bad beat and show it to the table as if to say

look

im not stealing I have legit stuff." A tinge of justice I think!)

3) Only one very tight limper in late position. SB calls

I call in BB w/Td9d.

The flop comes AdJd 3s. SB bets, I just call to try and suck in the limper but he folds.

Turn Jc. SB bets I raise he folds almost instantly.

4) 5 limpers Button raises I call w/ Kd4d 7 see a flop of

22 3 rainbow w/one diamond. I bet (probably not so great but Im the only one likely to have a 2. All fold to the button who just calls.

TUrn 9d. I check he bets I raise. I thought there was a decent chance hed lay it down and I do have outs and this guy definitely doesn't have a 2 or 99).

River a medium blank. Bet fold. Somehow I felt my "play" failed on the turn as he was supposed to fold then. But I thought I had to be consistent on the river.

I suspect most will criticize the flop bet.

All comments welcome!

11-01-2001, 12:07 AM
Hand 1: You are right, he should either fold or raise on the turn, but not call. He is getting somewhat less than 6:1 to hit his 6 outs on the river, and sometimes will lose anyway if you have AJ KJ or better than 1 pair.

Hand 2: I think you should bet the river. I can't see him often checking a better hand than yours if he is as aggressive as you say, and he would probably call with any ace.

Hand 3: I like the semibluff, especially since you could easily have a J to call with on the flop. He was probably bluffing too, but I doubt with worse than T high. If he might have folded an A here, remember to often raise this guy heads up when scare cards that appear likely to have helped you fall.

Hand 4: I like your play if that's how you would play a 2. The turn is a great place to check raise, since he often won't have even a pair yet on that board. Hopefully, he thinks you only have a 9 and called with a big overcards rather than a big pair. The bet on the river is almost mandatory since it's likely enough he only has ace high and won't call a bet, but would win if you checked.

11-01-2001, 12:18 AM
1) You played this hand well. I would actually consider betting the river for value here, but it is player dependent. If he had a legit hand, he would have raised the turn. Just calling screams overcards that he is stubborn enough to call a river bet with (and yes, he should have folded on the turn, if not on the flop--depends how tricky a player he sees you as).

2) You missed a couple of bets here. 3-betting preflop against a wild player is a no-brainer, its pump or dump time. I would raise the turn. An opponent with any sense will fold and if he doesn't you MUST make him pay to catch. River, if he has the good, he is betting again. He wouldn't try for a checkraise, but will call a bet hoping for a chop. Bet the river (esp. b/c u checked the turn). He basically concedes by checking, but will call with an ace.

4) I would have check-folded the flop and considered mucking before the flop (marginal)

Jeff

11-01-2001, 06:00 PM
"2)6 handed game. One guy is running over the table and no

one is playing back and he wins most of his hands by the turn. I am irritated as no one ever plays back, but I really shouldn't be mad.

He turns over AK and leaves for a long time. (I cannot help but think ,"you've got to be kidding me, the one time you have a legitimate hand and you are going to act like this was a bad beat and show it to the table as if to say look

im not stealing I have legit stuff." A tinge of justice I think!)"

I think the whole "justice" concept is a dangerously emotional entanglement. And in this particular case, if a guy is running over the table and not getting called on the turn, justice is served if he WINS for the day, not if he loses.

Tommy