PDA

View Full Version : Mike Caro's 12 Days/Missions

ddubois
06-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Maybe I'm not as smart as I like to think, but I am finding it exceedingly difficult to do these missions with an Internet game. Right now I'm attempting mission #2, in which I am supposed to imagine a hand at the showdown that would win 50% of the time, and record my results. But the action goes by so fast, before I can even make a guess, the hands are shown.

Even the "tracking the best seat" porion is difficult for me. People always coming and going, the action goes by so fast I can't really gauge who is playing too many hands until I start seeing some showdowns wherein the fish reveal their Q7o. Also, the direction to change seats often is completely unviable at Party, the waiting lists are such that the seat you want would always be taken before you could get to it.

Anyone tried doing the 12 missions online have any advice for me, or experiences to share?

eric5148
06-14-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm willing to try it, but I'm not familiar with it. Could you provide a link?

ddubois
06-14-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to try it, but I'm not familiar with it. Could you provide a link?

[/ QUOTE ]www.google.com

ddubois
06-18-2004, 06:07 PM
No one's tried Mike Caro's 12 Days to Holdem plan?

Robk
06-19-2004, 12:19 AM
wait until you get to the one where you have to listen to your opponents' voices. you would get more out of posting here or reading HPFAP than trying to learn from those missions. i remember thinking the strategy advice was poor as well.

mat
06-19-2004, 01:17 AM
when it comes to holdem advice mike carro is not the author of choice.

sthief09
06-19-2004, 02:42 AM
yeah, that's exactly what I was going to write. just because he's weird and smart doesn't mean he knows how to give good poker advice. I listened to every one of his audio lessons and I learned nothing. sometimes I wonder if he taped those during one of his famous Mike Caro acid trips back in the 60s.

uuDevil
06-19-2004, 02:51 AM
I tried it a while ago, but not online. I don't think it is as applicable online but could still be useful.

It did help me pay more attention to the game and focus on particular events and kinds of information. But his strategy advice was questionable-- if I recall correctly, in one mission he tells you not to raise in EP w/ big suited cards.

Edit: ok, I looked. For day 5 he tells you not to raise suited hands AT ALL. He also generally discourages raising before the flop, even with hands as strong as KK (this in EP).

sthief09
06-19-2004, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I tried it a while ago, but not online. I don't think it is as applicable online but could still be useful.

It did help me pay more attention to the game and focus on particular events and kinds of information. But his strategy advice was questionable-- if I recall correctly, in one mission he tells you not to raise in EP w/ big suited cards.

Edit: ok, I looked. For day 5 he tells you not to raise suited hands AT ALL. He also generally discourages raising before the flop, even with hands as strong as KK (this in EP).

[/ QUOTE ]

acid