PDA

View Full Version : I need help learning Poker Odds

coolcody
06-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Is there a system, book, software or any other available source for learning and memorizing all of the different odds? I find this area of poker to be very difficult.

Wada
06-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Mike Petriv's "Hold'em Odd(s) Book"

do a search on amazon.com to order it.

coach
06-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Hi,
I think this a correct way to do it if iam wrong someone will say. at the flop outs-47/bet = odds at turn its 45-outs/bet rough estimate.
good luck

deacsoft
06-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Theory of Poker(TOP) by Sklansky covers all the odds and much more. A must have for any poker player.

Sadat X
06-16-2004, 05:04 AM
I second that. TOP is a great book for learning basic odds.

sucka
06-16-2004, 11:09 AM
In general, you only need to remember the outs for specific hands. If you have TPTK for example, in most cases you aren't figuring how many outs you have to improve to 2 pair or trips. However, if you think you are behind and need to make a bigger 2 pair or trips then you should become adept at quickly and accurately figuring out the number of real outs you have.

90% of the time you need to know outs or %'s to make a flush, open ended straight, gutshot straight and 2 pair and trips to a boat.

A situation that comes up quite often is you'll make middle or bottom pair with a big kicker and get bet into on the flop. You need to determine how many outs you have, how many people are going to hang around in the pot, what is the likelyhood the pot will be raised on you, what position are you in and if you have any 'backdoor' possibilties that will give you a redraw to a nut or near nut hand?

There's a lot more to think about than I have 6 outs and it's 2 bets to me - what are my pot odds? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Definitely agree with TOP - if you want to be a succesful poker player you should definitely read that book. There are a lot of stud examples in there, but the theory is the same.

gergery
06-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Go to this website. Scroll down to find a chart of: how many outs you have, the odds you need to hit different hands, etc. It will tell you for example that a flush draw is 9 outs, that you are a 35% favorite to hit your flush by the river and your pot odds on the next card are 4.1 to 1. And Skalansky’s books are the nuts, lol

Then go back and read the article on how to play while you’re at it.

http://www.slospin.net/texas_hold.htm