PDA

View Full Version : What do people spend their play money on?

donkeyradish
06-14-2004, 11:51 AM
No ... this isn't a serious question /images/graemlins/cool.gif

A guy at work suggested he's practising on play-money tables before taking the plunge at the micro-limits. I suggested instead he just gave all his real-money to me for safe-keeping. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Several years ago though I played on play money tables where you could in fact win real money. This was my first on-line poker experience, the site was called 2am, anyone remember it? If you could amass a million chips (from 1,000 that they issued at the start) they gave you $100, and if you could win a further two million, they gave you another $100, ad infinitum! I got 3 cheques before deciding I'd had enough. Funded by pop-up adverts. Unsurprisingly, this game doesn't exist now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Thinking I was now ready to play poker properly, I re-invested the $300 in Planet Poker, won a bunch more, cashed out, took it all to Paradise Poker, and lost everything in a matter of minutes at a $10-$20 table. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Still, its possible to win some $ without investing. Paradise Poker has occasional freeroll tournaments, 1,000 players competing to win $10, those sound like they might be fun.

Anyone know of more?

illunious
06-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Check out the recent "So.. Wheres the free money? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=749532&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#749532)" thread on this forum for some no-deposit signup cash.

There are a few sites with real money prize pool freerolls. Prima skins (Royal Vegas) probably have the best payout of any.

bernie
06-14-2004, 06:02 PM
UB has ultimate points. I cant remember how many you start with upon sign up. But they have ringgames to play with them. They can be redeemed for prizes(?) or you can buy into tourneys with them and get winnings of cash put in your account. It only costs like, 1200 pts for a small tourney fee.

You can also win a high hand JP for a small % of the JP on a play money table. Though with UB pt tables, im not sure why you wouldnt play those instead of play money.

b

nickey009
06-15-2004, 05:29 PM
PP offers 15% matching bonuses from time to time. If you deposit 100 bucks you get 15% in your bonus account. 15 bucks. Then you have to play 75 raked hands to get the bonus. If you sit at a .25/.50 full table that's .75 per 10 hands. If you don't even look at your hand and just fold every single hand 8 rotations of the table will cost you 6 bucks and get you your 75 hands. You'll be +9 bucks! If you did it for a 100 dollar bonus instead of 15 then you'll be making that much more.

Greg J
06-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Last night i was murdering a 5c/10c table at paradise (I know, but im poor! /images/graemlins/smile.gif) and decided to play a freeroll for what i think is a free trip to paris for a WPT event. There were 3700 people entered. I finished 1,200th or so. So I had to tell my wife "honey, looks like we arent going to paris after all." hehe

That was the first time i ever played NL... but it's play money.

RED_RAIN
06-15-2004, 10:38 PM
JetSetPoker.com allows you to buy material goods in their shop. I've gotten a bunch of stuff from them. Wish I got a $100 for each mil as I quit when I got 10 mil chips there. They also have freerolls based on play hands played for satellites or money.

donkeyradish
06-16-2004, 10:10 AM
I thought at these very low limits there wasn't a rake unless the pot gets unusually big? So it could take quite a while to get your bonus playing at those

RED_RAIN
06-16-2004, 04:35 PM
At many sites at really low levels they don't even take a rake.