PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this right??? SIT AND GO

snowbank
06-14-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm in a 9 player sit and go, 5 players left, and I'm sitting nicely in 2nd place. Blinds I think are 50/100. I get AA in the BB. Big stack at the table calls, and everyone else folds. I raise up to 300, and big stack calls. Flop comes 6-6-J. I push all-in, get called. Guy has a Q-6 offsuit and I'm out in 5th place.

First of all, obviously with the AA everything is thrown out the window as far as going against the big stack at the table until I get into the money. Was I right to assume that he should not have a 6 after I raised to 300 pre-flop? Any thoughts on how I played this hand. My thought was pick up an extra 300 from the guy in case he had like K-J, I didn't want him to hit 2 pair. I wanted to win the pot right there. Any thoughts? If I had to do it again, honestly I would probably play it the same way, but I'd like to hear how some of you would play it. Thanks.

Roman
06-14-2004, 12:05 AM
raise more with limpers behind.

Abagadro
06-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Why didn't you want him to hit his second pair? You still had him if he did.

snowbank
06-14-2004, 12:11 AM
I meant trips, not 2 pair. Thanks for correcting me. I thought he might have a K-J, or A-J. Thought those were possibilities. NEVER expected a Q-6. But hey, I guess that's why we can make money on there so easily.

ligastar
06-14-2004, 12:23 AM
I can't fault your play. My question is how did this guy get to be big stack when he is playing Q6o (not to mention calling raises w/ it out of position).

I may have made a pot size bet instead of moving in but can't fault you for moving in more often than not.

snowbank
06-14-2004, 12:30 AM
My thinking was, no matter what I bet, if I was raised I was not folding my A's anyways, because I did not put him on having a 6. So if I bet 650 (pot size) I figure he would raise, and if not I would be taking him all-in on 4th anyways. That's the way I would play it anyways. Really no way I could put a legitimate player on a 6 there, but I was multi-tabling so didn't have reads on anyone really.

patrick dicaprio
06-14-2004, 05:49 PM
two thoughts: one is that you should probably raise more preflop. not that it would have made a difference but it is likely he will call a bigger raise preflop so you get more money in and hope to tie him on to a weak hand. so you make more money that way unless your opponent flops trips /images/graemlins/mad.gif

i rarely push all in when acting first when I have AA. usually i will wait and see what happens and then act. not that i would fold but there is an important concept at work here that most players dont give enough credence to. if you bet all in only a great hand is going to call. this means that he will not call with many hands you beat. or if he does he is a terrible player, but even at these SnG's most players will fold to an all in bet on the flop unless they can beat TPTK at least.

if you bet and they raise, or if you check and they bet,now the range of hands they are playing is much wider so that it is much more likely that you have the best hand. for example, few players who are not shortstacked will call an all in bet with a mere draw. but many will bet or raise with that hand and when you go all in they will call.

in effect it is the same chips that are at risk but the hands that will play with you are very different.

Pat