PDA

View Full Version : Same game, next hand...

10-29-2001, 10:15 AM
The SB from the previous hand I posted is dealt KK on the button. A maniac limps from early, a loose player (LP) raises from middle, and button reraises. Blinds fold, others call.

The flop comes T9x rainbow. Maniac checks, LP bets, button raises, maniac reraises, LP calls, button caps, all call.

The turn is another T, also making a club draw possible. Maniac checks, LP checks, button bets, maniac check raises, all call.

The river is a blank. Maniac bets and both others call.

Not as interesting as the other hand, I think. Just thought I'd include it as a kind of sequel. /images/wink.gif

10-29-2001, 10:27 AM
The maniac showed T8h to win the pot. LP also showed his hand: JJ.

I found the two hands to be an interesting (if unfortunate for our hero) example of how much your player knowledge affects your play of the hand. Our hero would presumably pay off the maniac on the river with his AK in the first hand, and fold on the turn with his KK in this hand against a check raise from the decent player.

10-29-2001, 06:30 PM
Sound like our Hero with KK uses TTH advice too often.:)

10-30-2001, 04:12 AM
Results aside, hero should check the turn, especially if he's going to call the maniac down(after being check-raised on turn) with no unusual other action. Running flush is too unlikely, QJ straight draw now has only four outs and A-x is pretty unlikely given the action on the flop. Seems to me to be one of those spots to check when, if you're not beat there are not alot of outs against you and you may induce a bluff(or bet from a worse hand)on the river and if you're beat and willing to call down its pretty expensive if you get check-raised on the turn and only have two outs.

Mike

10-30-2001, 06:18 AM
Yeah, I agree that hero should check the turn. Maniac is unlikely to have an ace without raising preflop, and LP figures to have a medium big pair, so there aren't many river cards that could hurt hero if he is ahead. And of course, if he is behind he loses a lot less by checking and gets a free shot to spike a K.