PDA

View Full Version : Stem Cell Research

Nepa
06-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Anyone else think that the Bush Admin. should loosen it's restrictions on Stem Cell Research?

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Absolutely. Keep the government out of medicine.

Non_Comformist
06-13-2004, 07:23 PM
From what I understand, and I may well be wrong there are two types of research.

The first and the one that mnay republicans support come fertilzed eggs created at fertility clinics which have no hope of being used. It seems that most reasonable people, including myself who is prolife, can agree that using these to find cures otherwise not available is good and just. I do not support President Bush here.

The other comes from aborted fetuses. I have a bigger problem with these. I guess my fear would be that at some point if the advancments where great enough you may have a situation where women are encouraged perhaps through payment, to have an abortion that they may otherwise not have. I would have a moral problem with this.

As with all issues though, it's hard for me to believe that there is not some reasonable middle ground that could satisfy all but the zealots.

The second type comes from

bingledork
06-15-2004, 02:09 PM
I think there are very very few women who want a baby but would opt to abort it instead because they are offered a check for $1000. They'd have to have the mental stability of Andrea Yates. Probably the same women who would sell their baby on the black market.

Any system can be corrupted, but I think stem cell research is a good thing, even if it comes from an aborted fetus.

Nepa
06-15-2004, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any system can be corrupted, but I think stem cell research is a good thing, even if it comes from an aborted fetus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the main point is that Abortion is legal at this point in time, why just throw the fetus away when it could be put to good use.

GWB
06-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Agree or not with the policy, it is scummy to use Nancy Reagan and the death of Ronald Reagan to push this policy issue.

Nepa
06-15-2004, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agree or not with the policy, it is scummy to use Nancy Reagan and the death of Ronald Reagan to push this policy issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the trick, bring up Nancy and Ronald Reagan. I'm sorry but this issue was brought up a week before Mr. Reagan died. The senate sent you a letter with 57 senators signatures asking you to review you stem cell research policy. This has nothing to do with Ronnie.