PDA

View Full Version : Tropicana 10-20 hand...how did I play it?

10-28-2001, 06:03 AM
Fairly loose 10-20 game, I'm on the button with AJ of diamonds. 4 limpers and than the cutoff raises, I 3 bet. BB calls, everyone else calls, 7 handed.

Flop comes 5d 6h 8d. 2 checks, a bet, 2 folds, cutoff raises, I 3 bet again. The original bettor and the cutoff call.

Turn is 2c, check, check, and I check along.

River 7d, First guy bets, cut off calls, I raise (of course), both people call.

Original bettor shows 99 for the straight, cutoff shows KK, and of course, I drag the pot.

My questions are this. Was my original preflop 3 bet out of line? Was my 3 bet ON the flop out of line. After showing all that strength, was I right to check the turn? WTF was cutoff doing overcalling with his Kings?

Thanks for the advice and input.

Mike

10-28-2001, 10:51 AM

10-28-2001, 12:30 PM
I really don't have a problem with the nines sticking around

10-28-2001, 12:47 PM
IMO you could have went either way pre-flop, I would have probably just called - but a raise is not out of line. I would have probably just called on the flop again, and checked on the turn as you did. I'm generally an aggressive player, but I don't see a bet driving the field out to pick up the chips on the flop; it's already raised, you're on the button, and you haven't made your hand. You're not going to get tremendous deception (although it might take a few people off of reading a come hand). My real problem with the bet is that your three bet almost guarantees that the first two players are out (which at this point I'd like to keep in the hand if possible).

You are are 4+:1 shot against making your hand as of the river. With this much in the pot, it is doubtful anybody is going anywhere on a bet, and you are setting yourself up for a check raise if you do bet - which you definitely don't want.

KK should have been driving this pot until the end, and his crying call was understandable, but his calling your raise was weak.

10-28-2001, 06:32 PM
1. Three bet with aj suited is a bit of a stretch, this is a drawing hand with all the callers and the raise in front of you.

2. If you are going to three bet the before the flop and after the flop then represent it on the turn otherwise your only chance is to catch.

3. The 99 betting into you on the river is just a gift, after your check on the turn who doesnt know you have diamonds?

4. otherwise I think you played it fine, have a fine fine day!

Swiss Cheese

10-29-2001, 01:13 PM
Without looking at the other responses I will happily subject my opinion here.

I think with all the callers preflop you defintely don't want to 3-bet your hand on the button unless your intention was to isolate the raiser. With AJ suited this is a drawing hand and you want as much value for your hand rather than isolating the raiser. If you have AA, KK or QQ then the 3-bet would be warranted. I'm certainly surprised that the limpers called the 3-bets pre-flop.

Your post flop play with your 2nd nut draw is pretty aggressive. I'm not advocating that 3-betting here is a good idea but it can't be too totally wrong also. I'm not sure if betting the turn on a semi-bluff is a good thing but the check managed to get the 9's to bet into you on the river.

You gotta love the Kings calling the end.

~stephen