PDA

View Full Version : QQ hand with undercards on the flop

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Poker stars 10+1 SNG.
It's the eighth hand and I have folded each of the previous seven hands. Blinds are 10/20 and nobody has won or lost very much. I have no reads.

Hero is dealt QQ on the button. EP makes it 40 and three call. I make it 140 to go and all call. The flop comes 789 with 2 clubs. All check to me and I bet 500. EP goes all-in and MP calls. I call. EP turns over AKo, MP turns over Ac5c. The turn is a 6, filling MP's straight. The river brings a K and I lose to both (although I suppose I really only needed to lose to one).

Was this a marginal call or a horrible call?

Nemesis
06-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Well, you were the only person with a MADE hand... i'd say it was marginal. With 1 person going all in and another calling already, i tend to throw away all but my best hands (weak tight prolly). If either of them had pushed independantly i think you would have a very good arguement for calling. All in all i don't think it was a BAD play though. You were a slight favorite to win, it was just hard to dodge ALL those cards that missed you.

Desdia72
06-13-2004, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker stars 10+1 SNG.
It's the eighth hand and I have folded each of the previous seven hands. Blinds are 10/20 and nobody has won or lost very much. I have no reads.

Hero is dealt QQ on the button. EP makes it 40 and three call. I make it 140 to go and all call. The flop comes 789 with 2 clubs. All check to me and I bet 500. EP goes all-in and MP calls. I call. EP turns over AKo, MP turns over Ac5c. The turn is a 6, filling MP's straight. The river brings a K and I lose to both (although I suppose I really only needed to lose to one).

Was this a marginal call or a horrible call?

[/ QUOTE ]

first off, i probably would'nt have bet as much as 500 on the flop; however, i can understand your aggressiveness in this spot because if someone does have a drawing hand or low cards, you wanna make them pay to draw on you.

secondly, with a flush draw and a straight draw on board, i would not have called an over-the-top reraise all-in by the EPP as well as the MPP call of that reraise all-in after you bet 500 on the flop. for all you know, both of these players could have been holding A A or K K preflop and you were already beat. either one of them could have also had a straight on the flop, trips, or two pair. when you got two guys going all-in after you bet strong on the flop, something should be going off in your head like, "DITCH THE HAND!". the only way i see calling the all-ins is if you caught trip Queens on the flop. at that point, it's really hard to get away from the hand.

patrick dicaprio
06-13-2004, 06:08 PM
i dont like either the bet on the flop or the call. even preflop is questionable since it is usually marginal to reraise QQ to an EP raiser. i can understand why you thought a big bet on the flop was correct and it would be if it were heads up, but with an EP raiser he would probably checkraise AA or KK exactly the way that he played AK. a better play is to make a small bet and then see what happens. on a good board against an EP raiser who could have a large pair i dont think a large bet can be correct.

of course the call of the all in bet is a huge mistake. i would be curious to know what hand you put him on that you thought you could beat. you couldnt have put him on AK if he bets all in. you dont say if EP had a club in his hand but if he didnt then at least take solace in the fact that he played this hand the worst of anyone.

Pat

willie
06-14-2004, 12:30 PM
the reraise preflop is fine, i just think think that the big bet on the flop was trouble. you want to feel your way out, and don't want someone to draw on you, but you almost trapped yourself with a bet that large on the flop. all the cards are in rank and 2 are suited, with people feelin ansy to draw on party or pokerstars, it's just a tough hand to stay tied to. i probably would have put out a bet about half the pot and then folded to any strength shown.....the board just looks like alot of trouble.

fnurt
06-14-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm going to disagree with some of the posters here. A raise to 40 at level 1 means very little to me, even if it comes from EP. I think your reraise was absolutely correct, odds are you have the best hand, and it gives you a chance to find out where you're at.

Chances are you're ahead on this flop, but the problem is that there are so many big draws possible, and you're often no better than a coinflip against them. There's around 450 in the pot, I would probably take a stab at it for like 350 or so, and I would give it up if I got check-raised all-in.

There's really nothing wrong with getting all your chips in here, however. This is not the WSOP, this is a 10+1 SNG, and there is nothing wrong with focusing on making the best +EV play. If you get unlucky, you can always start a new SNG.

Against these two hands, you had around a 40% chance of winning after the flop. When the action comes back around to you, you need to call 900 to win 3600, which means the pot is laying you 4-1. That's a huge call if you knew what they had.

In the real world, you don't know that the situation is that favorable, but this is still a 10+1 and people definitely don't need a made hand to go all-in here. Look at the play the guy made with AK, which was completely insane, but par for the course.

gergery
06-14-2004, 02:08 PM
I agree with this.

A lot of the advice on 2+2 is great advice for making you a better player, great advice if you are playing good players, and great advice if you're playing 50 or 100 buyin SNGs.

But that's not the case here, its 10 buying sng and those have bad players, who play bad hands. QQ only fears AA,KK which are dealt .9% of time, so there is a ~95+% chance they don't have them. And if they do, and you lose, then you just start another sng. Focus on +EV plays.

You're preflop bet was too small, as you only raised to 140 which was less than size of the pot - you should expect 60-80% of those to call you. I want one caller only here. I raise harder to maybe 2-3x pot.

On the flop, after a raiser and reraiser, I probably would have folded figuring my chances to win to be good but lower than 50/50--and it would have been a mistake! If you knew what they had, you push allin every time. But I would not be at all surprised to see them turn over TPTK and an overpair smaller than mine.