PDA

View Full Version : How profitable are the online low limit O8 games?

SkippingGoat
06-13-2004, 03:38 AM
While attempting to cool off after a bad run in NLHE, I started playing some .5/1 O8 at Party and was amazed at the poorness of play. While I'm averaging about 15BB/hr. at .5/1 NLHE over the last 10,000 hands, I was wondering if the O8 games online are good enough to make a switch in games worthwhile. Does quality of play increase substantially at slightly higher limits? I've read Zee's basic strategy section as well as some other peripheral O8 material but have not spent a great deal of time studying the game. I'd appreciate the advice of some more experiences players as to whether I could expect to do very in online O8 games with further practice and study or whether I’d be better off sticking to NLHE.

iblucky4u2
06-14-2004, 01:25 PM
First, welcome to O/8 - my favorite game.

I don't play online, but do watch and have read lots of posts about online ll O/8 and even watched some. My sense is they are at least as easy as ring O/8 games. You will find lots of callers pre-flop and lots of chasers post flop. Play tight and you will do ok. Play tight aggressive and you will do very well. In other words, make sure you have a good book to read or some good sites to surf to while waiting for the good cards to come.

Keep reading and studying. Watch some of the higher limit games to see what happens. Your will learn some things not in the books.

Beavis68
06-14-2004, 01:27 PM
I only play low limit, but I have a fried that play 10/20. He says it is the same crowd everyday. Most of them are located in vegas, and they are very tight.

the low limit games are full of idiots, but think you will have to move to 2/4 to make a similar amount in $/hr.

jedi
06-14-2004, 02:54 PM
If you're playing against me, the games are VERY profitable /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, the biggest skill here is hand selection. You play way tight and the other players will be shoving money in your direction. It can get boring though. This is the best game for me to multitable.

SlyR
06-14-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, the biggest skill here is hand selection. You play way tight and the other players will be shoving money in your direction. It can get boring though. This is the best game for me to multitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. The low limit online O8 games are, in my experience, very loose/passive. So much so, in fact, that without even studying the game a decent Holdem player could make the adjustment by simply remembering to...
1. Play only hands with great scooping potential.
2. Make the nut hand, then redraw to a better one.
3. Know when you're beat; if you're not sure, you probably are.

Ghazban
06-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Low limit O8 is honestly the most reliable moneymaker I've played online (only been playing a couple months, though). As long as you don't mind folding tons of hands while everyone else is in every pot, you're almost guaranteed to make money. If getting sucked out on often will put you on tilt, stick to hold 'em but, if you can keep your emotions in check, O8 at low limits is a gold mine.

Fraubump
06-17-2004, 05:05 AM
Low limit O8 is also one of the best bonus clearing games. Because you fold the vast majority of your starting hands without a second thought and because the games tend to move slowly, it's not hard to play 4 or more tables at once.