PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to move up to $10 sngs?

NNH
06-13-2004, 12:07 AM
I'd like some advice on moving up levels.
When would be a good time to move up from $5 sngs to $10? How much do I need to be properly bankrolled?
What would be a reasonable number of sng's played before I move up?

Since I started using poker tracker early last month, here are some of my stats...

Tournies Played: 45
Fin. In the $: 48.89
Avg. Finish: 4.20
1st: 6
2nd: 6
3rd: 10
And a whole lot of 4th's

Before I started using poker tracker I had probably played about 50 or so SNG's. I'd say I almost broke even, if not a little ahead.

I feel I've played a lot better in the last two weeks(thanks to some 2+2 help). I've played 28 tournies and finished in the money 60.71% of the time.

Sorry if my post is a bit lengthy. What do you guys think? Should I put in a little more work at this level? Thanks in advance.

Nepa
06-13-2004, 12:13 AM
I guess the big question is, what is your bankroll at? You should have no problem movin' up to 10+1 SNG's if you have over 110(10 buy-ins) thought some ppl. think you should have at least 20.

Jsb
06-13-2004, 12:25 AM
are you talking about at party? if so, the general concensus around here seems to be that there is not much difference between the ten and the five, and if you can beat the fives you should be able to beat the tens. not only that, but the fives are a rip off, 20% entry fee is not cool.
so i say if you have the bankroll, go for it. i would say you should be able to start with about 20 entries.

AtlBrvs4Life
06-13-2004, 12:35 AM
There is no time to move up to $10 tourneys. You should be starting at the $10 tourneys. No difference between the two except that you are getting taken by party in the $5 tourneys.

eastbay
06-13-2004, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like some advice on moving up levels.
When would be a good time to move up from $5 sngs to $10? How much do I need to be properly bankrolled?
What would be a reasonable number of sng's played before I move up?

Since I started using poker tracker early last month, here are some of my stats...

Tournies Played: 45
Fin. In the $: 48.89
Avg. Finish: 4.20
1st: 6
2nd: 6
3rd: 10
And a whole lot of 4th's

Before I started using poker tracker I had probably played about 50 or so SNG's. I'd say I almost broke even, if not a little ahead.

I feel I've played a lot better in the last two weeks(thanks to some 2+2 help). I've played 28 tournies and finished in the money 60.71% of the time.

Sorry if my post is a bit lengthy. What do you guys think? Should I put in a little more work at this level? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The time to move up to the $10's is the first time you play. Paying a 20% fee is absurd.

eastbay

patrick dicaprio
06-13-2004, 09:58 AM
when i was playing stud i saw questions like this all the time where players woudl be worried about the skill level at 5-10 as if it was this very tough game. for unknown reasons there is an assumption that at low limit there are differences in skill when in reality not only is there little difference the house take is usually better.

this is a good example. the fact that you think about your game alone means you should probably move up. plus the rake is better. if you insist on playing $5 games you can play for 0.50 at poker stars.

Pat

hhughes
06-13-2004, 07:40 PM
IMO 45 tourneys is too small a sample to be able to draw any concrete conclusions about anyone's playing ability and whether to move on to the next buy-in level.

I also am going to take issue with some posters opinion about the Party $5+$1 SNG's being a rip-off, the 20% rake nothwithstanding...

I just concluded playing 300 SNG's at Party...they were mostly $5's and a smattering of $10's... The results:

140/300 ITM...just a touch under 47%
Net profit $590
ROI 32.5%

48 1sts
54 2nds
38 3rds

I must admit that my bankroll was my initial consideration for beginning at $5...and I also understand that the rake is steep, but I think that the competition at this level on Party is favorable enough to offset the extra .50... As my numbers also indicate that money can be made at this level.

I, like NNH, have thought about moving up...and I do occasionally venture to the $10's with not enough tourneys to know how well I would do if I stayed there...I know folks say that the 10's are no different than the 5's and you win more money... but I have a hard time believing moving up to a higher level does not bring better players, as well as a higher buy-in...I also play Pot Limit, not NL...does this make any kind of difference???

I have cashed in my winnings and kept $200 in my account...and am considering moving up permanently to the 10's...but I contend that the $5's at Party are a fine place to hone ones play with a very good chance of making money while learning and gaining confidence...

I am by no means a poker expert...just my 2 cents...please flame away /images/graemlins/wink.gif

NNH
06-14-2004, 12:11 AM
I ran into a post a while back that talked about a bankroll building exercise that went something like this...

$5 SNG - till you get to $110
$10 SNG - $110-$220
$20 SNG - $220-$330
$30 SNG - $330-$550
$50 SNG - $550-$1090
$100 SNG - $1090-2150
$200 SNG - $2150 on up

... if you ever drop below the required bankroll of a certain level, you would have to drop to that pay level.
Has anyone ever tried this method?

Oh, I just played 2 $10 tourneys. Finished 1st and 6th. There were a lot of bad players, but I felt it was a little tougher than $5 games. It could all be in my head though.

I think I'm going to try the bankroll exercise I mentioned. I'd like to hear any suggestions or advice on this. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Current bankroll: $140

spundf
06-14-2004, 12:44 AM
I just recently up to the $10 party tables. My bankroll is 25 times the gross (buy-in plus fee). I find no difference in the competition between the $5's and the $10's.

Should my bankroll drop to $150 I will be back at the $5's. My statistics are similar to yours and I don't anticipate seeing the $5's again.

Good luck!

Eder
06-14-2004, 10:47 AM
I play 5$ S&G's on PS...gone from 100$ to around $500 in last 4 weeks...ITM about 48%...dunno about moving up yet as I seem to learn something new each day...think I'll stay at $5 level till I have my game completely under control...
Few things I learned to be more consistant at these if anyone interested..

1. AQ generally sucks
2.Play tight early....1k chips when blinds hit 100 is fine
3.Don't push with anything until desperate...better to raise 3x BB with premium hands ...if you hit try to limp feining weakness...a trap is worth much more than 6BB's
4. AJ sucks
5.If you get reraised believe it
6. Never call...raise or fold preflop
7.Steal steal steal when blinds hit 150 or 3-5 players left
8.most important is patience....cards change...no sense gettin cleaned on st8 draws
9. At each S&G there generally are 3 good players the rest are fodder...find out who they are before blinds hit 100,try not to play against them post flop...bluff the rest out of their chips

I know this is noob advice but it might help some other players

jmo

NNH
06-14-2004, 09:54 PM
About how many games did you play in the last 4 weeks. I agree w/ almost all of your points. I have some trouble w/ #3. I've found that most of the time when I try to limp after the flop, I end up getting caught w/ a draw on the river. Even if I bet strong on the turn. Against bad players, they think you probably just hit the turn card and will call your strong bets w/ draws. At least that's what I think. Any opinions?

As far as #5, maybe preflop, but I've seen some horrible all in raises w/ A and low kicker w/ A on board. I guess a decision here has to be based on your notes on that particular player. Which brings me to a stupid play I made the other day...

Probably the 2nd or 3rd hand of the game. I limp in on the small blind w/ QTo. About 5 players are in. Flop comes Q2T. I raise about 225. Fold, fold, Player 1 calls, Player 2 goes all in 700 or so. I stupidly call, and Player 2 shows pocket 2s. Shows you not to go all in when you don't even know you're opponents well.

Eder
06-14-2004, 11:35 PM
I played about 80 S&G's last 4 weeks.

My point in #3 relates to later stages of game...people playing tighter...you might lose some on the river but a trap can be worth all your opponents chips,I doubt it's a good idea in tougher games,but not hard to get a bite in the S&G I play in...of course tonight I limped the flush that I hit on the flop... 3 of us left in...2 K's on the board on the turn and one guy betting hard...got him all in on the turn but he hits his boat on the river...oh well

Broke my cherry on my 1st 10$ S&G tonite...finished 2nd....threw my own advise out when HU i call BB...he raises 300 ...I'm holding A10s so i push it in ...of coz he shows me AQ and I'm done. I had 6k still so was moron thing to do...guess I've learned this lesson few too many times.