PDA

View Full Version : 45 Weeks to WSOP Quest

dogmeat
06-12-2004, 11:16 AM
I started this quest for just one reason: To have money to play in the tournaments at the 2005 WSOP. Even a small stakes player like myself can save enough to get there if I start putting the money away! I put another $170 into the WSOP savings account ($340) on Sunday and then my wife and I headed down to Puerto Ponasco (Rocky Point) along the Sea of Cortez in Mexico. The last time I was in Mexico the exchange rate was 7.5 pesos to the dollar. This trip it was 10.5 to a dollar, but there was little difference.

We stayed at the Sonoran Spa, a new resort with great beaches and a nice pool. The ocean is foam-grean there and 79 degrees, very nice for swimming. My 2-year old daughter was thrilled with the sand, but preferred the pool to the ocean. I don't blame her. Rooms were $85 to $125 a night, but meals were more of a bargain. I couldn't get my breakfast of French Toast and bacon for $1.25 like last trip, but Rocky Point is a shrimping area and if you like shrimp, the meals are great. Good for a three-day vacation, not so good for getting in poker hours.

I only managed about 20 hours this week and as sometimes happens I had trouble getting my hands to stand-up on the river. I saw a small increase in my aggressiveness while working towards raising if I am playing a hand at least half the time. I've been raising with AQ (suited or off-suit) even utg to narrow the field. During my last 10K hands AQo has risen from .70 BB to 1.04 BB and AQs has risen from .65 BB to .75 BB. However, I am confused about what to do with hands like AJo for a raise, and how far to go if I call.

Party $2/$4 against a fairly loose group that like to get money in before the flop there is a limp from utg, raise from MP1 and after a couple folds I call with AJo. Button calls as do the blinds.

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Blinds check, MP bets, I raise, button calls, blinds fold and MP calls.

Turn is 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Button checks, MP bets, I call and button folds.

River is 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Button checks, MP bets, I call and MP shows AK and wins with two pair against buttons pocket 7's.

Should I just muck this preflop?

A few interesting things from my Poker Tracker stats: after 20,750 hands I have made 1224 pocket pairs. The odds say I will have 1220 (so close!) and of those there will be 94 of each. I have had pocket aces 100x, so I am happy, but it is interesting that even after this many hands there can be so much movement between hands. I've only had Jacks 80x, but have had pocket 8's 119x! Funny.

As for my monetary stats, my first 10K hands I made 14.42 cents per hand playing mostly mostly $2/4 and the last 10K hands I made 14.44 cents per hand with some $3/6 but also lots of .50 NL play. Strange the numbers are so close. If I can play three games all the time I guess I will see a considerable increase.

Did I mentiion I would be at the WSOP in 2005?

Best of luck to everybody this week. See you in 2005.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

pudley4
06-12-2004, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I just muck this (AJo) preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you know MP is a very loose raiser, AJo should be folded to a preflop raise.