PDA

View Full Version : $60k in 60 days -- Days 28 & Mulligan (longer than normal)

Schneids
06-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Day 28 (June 9) -- 06.10.04, 02:34

Going to be short tonight since I need to get some sleep for tomorrow. I've decided if I am at Canterbury for over 4-hours tomorrow (99% likely), I will count it in this quest's total. Today I got out to the driving range and swung the golf clubs surprisingly well for me, for having not golfed all year yet. I still had a wicked slice on some shots, but most of the time I was making solid contact. That's encouraging.

Today I played three sessions. The first was in the afternoon for 3 hours, and I ended up $86. This session was a little frustrating because I was up close to $800 a lot of the session and suffered a bout of second bests towards the last half an hour while also losing some pots with some correct reads that got nullified by river or turn jobs. I played another hour in the evening and won $679. Finally, played 2 hours late night in a bizarre session where I started off down $800 and was essentially feeding money to a maniac for him to disperse to everyone else, before climbing all the way back to up $1036.50 (and also getting most of my money back from him. It's nice that worked out as it should... So, a total of 6-hours today and a net result of being up $1,801.50.

I look like a maniac: UTG limps, folded around to me in BB with KsJs. I've played with UTG plenty and know he's loose aggressive. I check. Yes, checking isn't usual play number one here, but I think he's smart enough to play me approximately correctly post flop if I raise PF here and do happen to flop a pair. So, I check thinking this leaves me more post flop options and makes him pay me off better when I do flop a hand (plus allows me to represent a wider range of hands). Flop Qh6s2h; I check, UTG checks. Turn 7s; I bet, UTG raises, I 3-bet, UTG calls. River 8c; I bet, and UTG calls with 9h8s. On the flop and turn action I put him on a draw, and I think he put me on a draw when I bet (since he knows I'm aggressive enough to bet just about any pair into him on the flop), so I 3-bet to resteal. My read was right. It just worked out that he hit an 11-outer that gave him enough to call the river. Well-played by me I think (unless you wish to contend I raise PF and bet the flop and it's likely he folds on the flop), given my PF choice.

I've really been trying to focus on players more at the table and make more read dependent plays, such as the one above. Here is another one: 3-handed, I raise Td9d in the SB and BB 3-bets, I call. Flop of Ks9h3d; I check, BB bets, I raise, BB 3-bets, I call. Turn 8d and river 3h, and I check/call both to lose to BB's 8s8c. I felt reasonably sure if BB could beat mid pair he would have called my check raise, then raised my bet on the turn, so I went with those instincts and was right, until I got nailed by the 2-outer.

Just so I don't get accused of turning this into a bad beat journal (not my goal, I talked about those two hands because they involved read intensive decisions!), I did actually win some hands today too /images/graemlins/smile.gif! Here's one about having a plan and sticking to it - something Stripsqueez (amongst others) emphasizes as being important (but obviously not to the point where you cannot change the plan if the action suddenly indicates you should): I raise UTG, CO cold calls, both blinds call. I have KdKs. Flop of Qh8c3s; SB bets, BB raises, I cold call, CO folds, SB 3-bets, BB calls, I call. Turn 4s; SB bets, BB raises, I cringe slightly while 3-betting (not very often I find myself pushing 3-bets into the pot on the turn with one pair as my first action in the betting round), SB calls, BB folds (surprising). River 7d; check, I bet, SB calls and I'm good against SB's KhQd. I kept quiet on the flop so I could make some noise on the turn, right? So, I stuck to my guns and 3-bet rather than cold calling and being content with "more than one" bet getting in on the turn.

A brief amusing call-down: I have 6s9s from SB; final board of KcKs2s6c7d. Nick B. bet the flop from his BB and was called by a limper and me. Turn was checked around. I bet the river, and was called by the limper with Qh7s. I guess someone has to keep me honest?

Finally, I figure I should talk about this hand since it is what caused me to decide to end my afternoon session, with the realization that even if an hour earlier I was playing great poker, at the present time I no longer was. 1 limper, I complete in SB with Kc8d, Vehn checks in the BB. Tc8s4c flop; I bet, Vehn raises, limper folds, I fold. I fold? What? I recall at the time thinking something like (sorry, nearly a direct copy/paste from HU/SH forum but made more storyesque): "Vehn has an uber-tight rock image at this table. But don’t I too? Oh wow, UTG sure folded fast. I wish he could have taken more time to think. Wow, I can't come up with a plan for the rest of the hand. This never happens to me. If I 3-bet and continue to lead out, I almost always win the minimum from Vehn when he has a worse hand and lose the max when he has a better. If I call and then check/call, same deal. Crap. I feel owned right now. Meh, he probably has a ten. I fold." Ten seconds later I realized what a horrid fold that was, and decided to post the hand in that forum. Obviously, I received plenty of criticism and all of it justified. I wanted a wake-up call and 2+2ers were quick to deliver. My thanks! Although it's very convenient and I wouldn't put Vehn past making this up as being his hand, he says he had Q8. At least I was able to recognize I was no longer playing my A-game, and got myself away from the computer screen. I think I played fantastic in my two sessions after this afternoon one, so hopefully this wake-up call will keep me sharp.

Alright, I need sleep -- have to be up somewhat early for golfing tomorrow. Come on, nice weather!

Total for Day 28: $1801.50
Goal to date after 28 days: $20,765.24/$60,000
Week Four Summary: $5560.83, 35.25h, $157.75/hr

Day Mulligan (June 10) -- 06.11.04, 15:20

I'm glad this is my quest and that I have the power to make some executive decisions. I know in my last journal I said I would probably use yesterday's Canterbury trip in my totals. I changed my mind. Yesterday I wasn't playing poker. I was getting hacked to death, limb by limb with a chainsaw. Anyway, I'll get more to that in a second.

You'll notice I have a spiffy title for this journal. It really sums up my golf game nicely. My friend and I met up with Doug (Gonores) and his friend Andy at Willinger's Golf Club in Northfield, MN. Thanks to freeway construction and an assumption that we knew how to find this place since we've both been to Northfield many times to visit friends that go to college in the city, we assumed we knew somewhat where to go to find the place... So, by making a left turn off the freeway (towards Northfield) instead of a right, we got to the golf club right on time for our tee-time -- which in golf means you're 15 minutes late!

I'd like to thank those three right off-the-bat for tolerating my suckiness in golfing. Basically, my drives were competent, but the rest of my game blew. Out on this golf course, I was the fish. If there was a bunker on the hole, my ball would find it. If there was water, I'd be swimming. If there were trees, they had my name on them. And all of this doesn't even begin to describe my irons game and my short game. Atrocious. It was a little cool out and there was off and on drizzle, but I really didn't mind it. In fact, I think I'd prefer golfing in that type of weather than hot, humid and sunny. I just wish I'd have brought a change of pants and socks along, since playing poker later in the night with wet clothing was not choice.

Doug and Andy are awesome guys. I know Doug is working on a trip to Vegas in the not-so-distant future –- for any of the 2+2ers out that way, I'd really encourage you get to meet him. I regret that our schedule didn't allow for much time to just sit down and chat, since as it is there are a lot of quiet moments when you are golfing and chatting across the poker table isn't always the easiest thing to do.

By the end of golf I had a pounding headache (I speculate due to 4.5 hours of sleep coupled with breakfast being my only meal and it being 5pm when we finished) which carried over to the first hour or two of playing at Canterbury. A meal and a couple of advils later at Canterbury, and my headache was gone.

I played 8/16 for an hour or two and lost $300 in that game, without winning a single hand. I played TT once and lost to 99 on a 9-high board, and I played 99 and lost to AK on a board all lower than 9 until the ace river which I checked. When I got called for the 15 Doug was already seated, and I took the change to that table as well.

The 15/30 was a horrible game for the first couple of hours. I'd say about half the pots were blind steals or HU matches between a PFR and blind, and on the overall whole the table was mega-tight. I didn't even know Vehn was at the table too until Edge34 saw me and came over and asked me if he was. Vehn heard Edge and introduced himself.

My first hand I showed down was terrible. Usually if I'm playing live after having played nothing but online for hundreds of hours, it takes me one hand to remind myself I'm playing in a much more passive game. This hand was it: I had a crappy six in my BB against one or two limpers, and the flop was Q6x, I bet and got called by a guy I saw play a hand against Vehn in which he cold called Vehn’s PFR, called a Q-high raggedly flop, then raise Vehn’s turn bet on a king turn, and then bet the river as a bluff with his A3o and got called by Vehn with 44. So with my hand I bet the whole way and got called down by that guy's QT. Pleasant reminder that at Canterbury your flop bets don't get raised by top pair.

While the 15 totally sucked, my only other notable hand involved defending my blind with a suited ace, flopping aces up on a monotone board, check raising the CO PFR, him calling the raise, then raising my turn bet and me calling down to see J4 suited and his flush.

Vehn left by about 9 and Doug and his friend left about 10:30. I'd say by 11:30 the 15 got significantly better. Ironically, while the game sucked I broke even. While the game was good I lost $1400 in it. I played until 2:30, in which between 11:30 and 2:30 I think I won two pots. One of them was raising with ATs from LP and being HU with the BB who is a gigantic calling station and normally plays 30/60 and only bets when he has the nuts, otherwise calls with almost anything. I bet Vehn knows who I'm talking about. I bet a jack high monotone flop and he called. The turn and river went check/check and my hand was good. The other was with Tc9c from my BB and seeing a Ac35 flop get capped with me and two others, me hitting the flush draw on the 2c turn, and a 4 being the river, in which I played the hand really badly and estimate I left $120 on the table by letting my slump effect me and not pumping the pot more on the turn and betting the river. Both the other players had A5o.

While the table was good, I found myself making a lot of big laydowns. In the first one, there was one limper and the button raised (after getting home I found out the button was asdf1234), and I 3-bet from my BB with TT, limper called, asdf1234 4-bet, and we both called. The flop was 7-high and I check called with the intention of folding the turn if I didn't hit a ten. The turn was a king, and I checked and folded. The limper called down and got to see asdf's AA. He was playing extremely tight, and I was feeling extremely confident in my read to comfortably fold an overpair on the turn to him, plus, having the king on the turn made the fold even easier because now AK was also beating me, so I esitimated my chances of having the best hand to be zero. In another hand, I 3-bet with AcKc from my SB and we ended up having a 6-way pot capped PF. The flop was J8x one club and I checked, the 4-better bet, a couple of calls and I called. The turn was an ace and I bet, the 4-better raised, asdf 3-bet from the CO, and I folded. He won the pot with 88. In another hand, I got to use a tell to save me $30. In it, I raised KK from my BB. The flop was ace high and I got two callers. I bet the turn as well and got the same two callers, one of which was The OC in the SB. The river brought another ace and The OC bet. I looked over at the third player and could tell he was getting ready to put chips into the pot. I couldn't tell if he was going to call or raise, but I knew he was staying in. If I don't see this, I call The OC's bet since he's loose enough to make this bet on the river without an ace, especially since he's seen both of my AK and TT lay downs and was shocked I made them. So I folded, and The OC won the pot with A5.

So, as I've eluded to, even though I lost $1700 (well ok, $1693, I left with $7 worth of chips) I've decided I get a mulligan and I'm going to use it for this day. That said, my playing today will be Day 29. I know that if by chance I make it to $60,000 but am under $61,693 then this is a slightly tainted success, but that's my choice. This quest will from this day forward only count for online play. That is all.

P.S. Vehn IS the best limit player ever. He owned the table.

Ric
06-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Your journals are fun to read. I'm amazed at your hourly rate.

Canterbury's age requirement is 18, yes?

Vehn
06-11-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bicyclekick
06-11-2004, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your journals are fun to read. I'm amazed at your hourly rate.

Canterbury's age requirement is 18, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's 18.

That's an easy laydown to asdf, he's a rock. ;P

Ulysses
06-11-2004, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've decided if I am at Canterbury for over 4-hours tomorrow (99% likely), I will count it in this quest's total.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So, as I've eluded to, even though I lost $1700 (well ok, $1693, I left with $7 worth of chips) I've decided I get a mulligan and I'm going to use it for this day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weaker.

Schneids
06-11-2004, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've decided if I am at Canterbury for over 4-hours tomorrow (99% likely), I will count it in this quest's total.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So, as I've eluded to, even though I lost $1700 (well ok, $1693, I left with $7 worth of chips) I've decided I get a mulligan and I'm going to use it for this day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey FU why don't you make your own quest and not modify it once?

Wait. You did make your own quest. And you did modify it.

Ulysses
06-11-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait. You did make your own quest. And you did modify it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try, chump. My quest has not been modified. Thanks for coming out, though.

Schneids
06-11-2004, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My quest has not been modified.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
While 150 hrs is looking bleak, 20hr/wk would be nice to hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close enough for me.

kiemo
06-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Eagan to Northfield to Shakopee.

Thats alot of driving.

Plus 18 holes

Next time find time for a nap!

Vehn
06-11-2004, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I put on a magnificant "drunk young guy" preformance. Plus if you saw some guy win 50 bb in 2 hours and he called and won with ace high and called a turn raise with 3rd pair and won, you'd think he was some sort of limit hold'em god too. Or a really lucky calling station.

asdf1234
06-12-2004, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's an easy laydown to asdf, he's a rock

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost anyone looks like a rock compared to you, LAG /images/graemlins/cool.gif

asdf1234
06-12-2004, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The flop was 7-high and I check called with the intention of folding the turn if I didn't hit a ten

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, and I thought that K cost me at least $30.

Schneids
06-12-2004, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The flop was 7-high and I check called with the intention of folding the turn if I didn't hit a ten

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, and I thought that K cost me at least $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was planning on sticking around I would have checkraised that otherwise dream-like flop for TT since we had a 3rd party involved with likely overcards to my tens...

jwvdcw
06-12-2004, 03:26 PM
I agree that you shouldn't use the mulligan and just take the loss into your records. If you go on a good run for the last 30 days and make your goal, you don't want to have an asterisk(sp?) next to your goal that you achieved imo.

But whatever...its your perogative. Congrats on a good day 28, and keep up the good work.

asdf1234
06-13-2004, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I was planning on sticking around I would have checkraised that otherwise dream-like flop for TT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, man, but I didn't know I was up against the legendary Schneids at the time /images/graemlins/cool.gif

dirty moose
06-13-2004, 07:18 AM
sure this has been answered, what table are you sitting?

Skyler
06-25-2004, 08:19 AM
Dude, the mulligan *is* weak. You've done worse on past days IIRC so just chump up and include it. If you're just going to modify things when you're down on an off day then it kinda ruins the excitement of watching you make this extraordinary dash for cash.