PDA

View Full Version : I think I've reached a new level... still a long way to go.

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-11-2004, 05:09 PM
This is probably not exactly what happened, but its the hand as I recall it. I'm playing online and have KK at a loose-weak table in LP. I three-bet the MP raiser preflop and get called by him and one other. The flop comes KJ4, 2 hearts. EP checks, MP bets, I raise, MP calls. The turn is a 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP checks, I bet, he calls. The river is an Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP checks, I bet, he checkraises, I call. MP shows 9To.

For a while I've known that I should be pleased to know that I've got an idiot at the table who will chase a gutshot to the ass-end of the straight down to the river, but last night was the first time this sort of thing happened and I felt no frustration or anger at all at the beat. I smiled, chuckled a bit, made a note on the guy and kept on playing.

deacsoft
06-12-2004, 12:40 PM
I too still struggle with this from time to time. I know that I need to embrace each time it happens due to the fact it just means bigger pots for me a few hands later. It is tough to look at it that way all the time. However, I have begun to just float right over that nonsense now and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me feel like a better player and a better person. Keep with it. Life is so much easier when you don't have to be pissed off all the time.

hhughes
06-12-2004, 12:46 PM
IMHO this is a mind hurdle any decent player must cross...Once one understands that bad beats are part of the game, and that you had the best of it til the miracle card hit. Its not a great feeling, but you played the hand correctly...that's what counts in the long run... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

chesspain
06-12-2004, 02:48 PM
It's always nice when the ego gets the id in a headlock.

brassnuts
06-12-2004, 03:10 PM
I still a get a little upset (more disappointed than anything) when this sort of thing happens. However, what really gets me mad is when I make a mistake. And, conversely to you reaching a new level, I've also reached a new level; recognizing my mistakes imediately. I've only been playing now for a couple of weeks, and I still make mistakes here and there. I'm sure they will soon become routinely played correctly. For example, because of sheer lack of concentration I folded a decent sized pot with an inside straight draw on the flop. My assumption so far is that in the normal semi-loose 3/6 game I play in, you're almost always getting the odds to chase an inside straight on the flop, as long as there isn't a scary flush or pair on the board. I was in the BB with 10 7 and I would have had the nuts on the turn. This bugged me for about an hour or so until I won my next pot. The only other mistake I made last night was not raising out of BB with AQ suited. I sometimes do, sometimes don't, depending on how many players there are. I didn't realize last night that including me, there were only 3. Again, lack of concentration (watching the baseball game they had on TV). So, these sort of things really get me mad, but this is because, unlike bad beats, I can only blame myself for my own mistakes. Right now, this is the only thing makes me tilt. But, hopefully, I'll soon be at a level where I don't make any mistakes at a 3/6 game.