PDA

View Full Version : I can't find an Ed Miller Post...help!

juanez
06-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Am I a dunce here? For the last half an hour I've been trying to find NPA Ed Miller's infamous "Preflop Play: Take off the training wheels" post so I can bookmark it. I have the LINK (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=495010&page=0&view =expanded&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) to NPAEM's post, but the link opens a window where I'm not logged in, so I can't save it as a favorite thread.

The post was on 1/25/04 in the Small Stakes Holdem forum and titled "Preflop Play: Take off the training wheels".

I can't seem to get the search engine to find it. I'm searching:
Forum: Small Stakes Holdem
Subject Line: "Preflop Play: Take off the training wheels" (in quotes)
Username Search: Ed Miller
Date Range: Within the last year

I get NO MATCHES from the search engine. What the heck am I doing wrong here? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

LowDown22
06-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Link works fine for me, here's a copy of his post:
----------------
This is a post targetted to the posters who have been around for at least a few months. If you are brand new to poker, ignore this for now (but bookmark it and come back in two months).

How many of you still ask preflop questions like,

"How many limpers do I need to play..."
"Do I have the odds to call with..."

etc.

How many of you give preflop advice like,

"Without at least three limpers you have to muck..."
"You are getting 7-to-1 so you should..."

If you still think this way about preflop play, it's time to take the training wheels off!

Preflop play is NOT about "pot odds." It is not about how many limpers you have. Preflop play is about getting to see flops against players who will give you their money by playing poorly.

The goal of preflop play is to maximize your time spent playing after the flop against weak players and weak hands and minimize it against strong players and strong hands.

You make money in poker from your play after the flop. You've already noticed how poorly many of these players play after the flop. They put in tons of bets as huge underdogs. They don't put in enough bets as the favorite. They hemorrhage money after the flop.

When bad players limp in front of you, you should want to play with them. Say you have a hand like K4s, and two bad players limp in. You should WANT to play. Your hand has no advantage over theirs at this point. But after the flop, you will make good decisions, and they will make terrible ones. Your hand isn't good, but it is good enough.

Now you may decide not to play K4s even though you WANT to play. You might not play because you are in middle position, and the chance someone will pick up a big hand behind you is too high. You might not play because there are strong players behind you who can really interfere with your goal of playing against weak players and weak hands. But you should WANT to play. If you are on the button, then you SHOULD play because there's no one behind you to screw with your plans.

When it is raised in front of you (by a normal raiser) you should want to fold K4s. You are playing against a strong hand, and you want to minimize your exposure against strong hands.

If two strong, tricky players enter the pot in front of you, you DON'T WANT to play K4s. You want to minimize your exposure against good players.

You can play quite loose if you are sure you will only be playing against bad players and bad hands. Your superior skills after the flop can turn very marginal hands into solid winners.

Dynasty
06-11-2004, 05:39 PM
I think it may have been in the micro-limits forum.

Trix
06-11-2004, 07:25 PM
I think the posts from January was moved to recent archieves.