PDA

View Full Version : Do the 3 table (or 2) go this forum or the multi?

Hiding
06-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Basically my question is, should I follow 1 table advice or MTT advice. I'm guessing its a mix with some short handed forum info in there for the finals, but just curious where to post questions about the party new 3 table SnG.

And back to the same question asked a million times, limp in early with a lot of hands, or play the rock? I see advantages in both. I watched one game where blinds hit 50 and half the field was gone, then played one where half the field was still there at 100/200

Personally I like them, a low entry fee with some chips to play with, slow blinds, more of a chance to out play oponents instead of the shove and pray. (okay I played one and won, so I'm biased, the 20+2 payoff was huge for my bankroll, usually I'm a 10+1'er, and do okay, not great but its a free hobby at this point)
Any idea if its better to play the single tables or multi's as far as bankroll is concerned?

Shaun
(yeah I know a lot of useless information with a few questions)

eastbay
06-11-2004, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Any idea if its better to play the single tables or multi's as far as bankroll is concerned?

Shaun
(yeah I know a lot of useless information with a few questions)

[/ QUOTE ]

Better in what sense? Clearly singles have a lower variance than multis, so risk of ruin is lessened for a given starting multiple of buy-in and average ROI.

But better in the usual sense of $/hr - it's impossible to say. It depends on what you're better at, skill and strategy wise.

eastbay

Chief911
06-11-2004, 10:07 AM
As I sat through a 3 table multi yesterday, I had a hard time seeing anything but a DECREASE in ROI. Take for example the $30/3 3 table.

30/3 1 Table
1st - 150
2nd - 90
3rd - 60

30/3 3 table (30 players
1st - 290???

If you get lots of your cash off 1st place finishes, why weed your way through 3 times the players, for less than 2 times the payoff? And it takes you more time to do it.

No thanks. I love MTT's, and love the concept, but unless they modify 1st place to $450, I'm back to my single table SNG's.

Nick

memphis_aces
06-11-2004, 10:25 AM
I'd agree that for the Pros, the Single SNGs are still the way to go.... much better ROI in half the time.

HOWEVER...if you're still honing your chops (most of us are to one degree or another) and you favor a more skill-based game rather than the semi-crapshoot that the single table SNGs can be, then I'm pretty fond of the new format...

PLUS, right now the play is very wild in them, and they payout structure is pretty deep (took $90 for a sloppy 4th in a $20/2 3-table game last night). If you're not on the top of your game....you can still finish in some very respectable money....I think the payout structure is geared more toward the above average player, rather than the Pro or Semi-pro.

Chief911
06-11-2004, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PLUS, right now the play is very wild in them,

[/ QUOTE ]

I played two of them last night. NEITHER was anywhere near loose. We were at 100/200 with 21 people still there. In a regular 30/3 SNG, there is less than half the table left at that stage. /shrug

eastbay
06-11-2004, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As I sat through a 3 table multi yesterday, I had a hard time seeing anything but a DECREASE in ROI. Take for example the $30/3 3 table.

30/3 1 Table
1st - 150
2nd - 90
3rd - 60

30/3 3 table (30 players
1st - 290???

If you get lots of your cash off 1st place finishes, why weed your way through 3 times the players, for less than 2 times the payoff? And it takes you more time to do it.

No thanks. I love MTT's, and love the concept, but unless they modify 1st place to $450, I'm back to my single table SNG's.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same thought. But at the same time, I think you can't ignore profit from the other placings:

2: 90 vs. 225
3: 60 vs. 180
4: 0 vs. 135
5: 0 vs. 90

I think the only way for me to figure how profitable they are is to play a few hundred of 'em. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wish they would get the $50+5's, going, though...

eastbay

memphis_aces
06-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Odd... I finished in 4th and never even SAW 200/400. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hrmmm I'll have to play some more this weekend to get a better sample size....