PDA

View Full Version : when to call a maniac all-in

DrewOnTilt
06-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Yesterday a player commented that he has to leave and goes allin. He won with garbage cards. He went allin again on the next hand, again with junk, and won again. He then went allin on the next 3 hands and everyone folded to him. The next hand, he went allin again, and won with garbage. He would even announce prior to the deal "I have to leave, so I'm going allin again on the next hand."

Today, one player started to go allin on every hand, and again won several calls with garbage hands. He indicated that he was drunk.

I have no reason to doubt that either of these two were lying, given the cards that they played. I have witnessed several similar occurences recently, and I am sure that this is not an uncommon phenomenon.

What would be a minimum 2-card hand for calling an allin of this type? This is not just a question of which 2-card hand is slightly above the average 2-card hand, as losing will bust me.

gergery
06-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Someone had a great post the other day about how the goal of SNG poker is to maximize your dollars per hour, not your dollars per tournament (which has changed how I think about SNGs).

Those minutes spent hanging on to avoid getting busted might be more profitably spent on the next SNG, particularly early in the tourney.

So you should call when you have positive EV that’s big enough to make it better than the positive EV you’d get a few hands later. For me, that’s maybe a 3:2 favorite. So any pair 77 or higher, any ace, any K with a 6 or higher, any Q with 9 or higher kicker, JTs

durron597
06-10-2004, 09:44 PM
(Link originally posted and put together by <font color="orange"> eastbay (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=&amp;User=5671&amp;what=search&amp;Forum=A ll_Forums&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;where=bodys ub&amp;Name=5671&amp;daterange=1&amp;newerval=1&amp;newertype=w&amp;ol derval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyprev=) </font> )

http://rwa.homelinux.net/poker/hand-rankings.html

Use this to determine your odds against a random hand. When the odds are good enough for you, call.