PDA

View Full Version : 8-16 Bellagio hand

10-17-2001, 02:05 PM
8-16 at the Bellagio – the whole table is on tilt. Guy to my immediate left plays every hand, no exceptions. He just beat AA and A-Js in a capped pot preflop, capped on the flop hand when the board came J-2-5-9-3 and his gutshot to a 6-4 was good on the river. Naked river bluffs have been caught and shown all night. It is California in Vegas for 6 hours.

I limp in the cutoff with Kh-10s after 3 callers. Every hand guy calls on the button (duh) and the blinds call. 7 see the flop.

Flop:

Kd-6h-4h Checked to me, I bet, 4 callers.

Turn:

[Kd-6h-4h] 9c Checked to me, I bet, 4 callers still.

River:

[Kd-6h-4h-9c] 3s Checked to me, do I bet or check?

All thoughts on the hand appreciated.

Thanks,

Clark

10-17-2001, 03:05 PM
"his gutshot to a 6-4 was good on the river. Naked river bluffs have been caught and shown all night."

Sounds like check call. If the button caught his gutshot AGAIN, then you save a bet. Ditto against 33 and 43s and 64. You should have heard from a better K by now, so I doubt it's there. You can't charge the flush draw any more. You win an extra bet when button bluffs and maybe more if he gets callers. Any checkraises leave you with IMO, an easier decision whether to call two cold instead of paying via the installment plan.

If you do bet, how often will lesser hands call? What would they be? A single 4 or 6? If the board had a J instead of the 6 or 4, I would more likely bet.

10-17-2001, 03:30 PM
I don't like your preflop call. K10 off does not play well in a multi way pot. Especially in a wild game such as this. And you still have people behind you yet to act that might raise.

As far as the rest of the hand you played fine. River I'll sometimes bet and sometimes check on my feel at the time and the reactions of the other players to the river.

10-17-2001, 03:50 PM
I don't like your call much pre-flop. I prefer for it to be suited in these games.

The river brings an interesting problem. You have a bluffer on your left and and 3 callers. You also don't have a very strong hand against 4 players. However if you check, and the button bets, an aware player may raise with a weaker hand forcing you out of your pot.

I would bet here to protect my hand, if there were good players still left. If the lineup was weak, I would check.

10-17-2001, 09:14 PM
In the actual hand I actually paused for a few seconds to think about it, noticed the guy on my left was ready to muck, visibly shrugged my shoulders and bet. Given the texture of the game and the size of the pot I could envision any pair calling me.

So...I bet, got 2 callers and took it down. One caller showed ace high with the busted nut flush draw, and the overcaller mucked without showing.

This is the kind of situation on the river that I sometimes have problems with. I hate missing bets in this situation and want to make more value bets, but I certainly hate the smug checkraisers you run into once in a while. I thought this was a close situation and even afterwards wasn't sure.