PDA

View Full Version : AK sooted

10-16-2001, 01:03 PM
Back from a delightful week off. Sorry if I owed some replies and didn't follow up.

I'm in position against the blinds with AK of spades. The flop is 10-10-9 with two spades. They check, I bet, and one of the them calls. Heads up now. The turn card is another nine, and he bets out.

Hmmm. I didn't think he had a full house. He's the kinda guy who traps with a real hand and bets with draws. And given that I could still have anything at this point, I gave him credit for having the gumption to bet a draw, but not the will to reraise with one. So I raised the turn. He slumped a little and called. I really liked my hand at this point.

The river was the 7 of spades, giving me the nut flush. He bet out.

Oh my. I still didn't think he had a full house, but if he made a flush (or a straight), how could he bet into me on the river after I raised the turn, when any ten or nine makes a full house?

I almost raised here, thinking that he would payoff with a flush of straight. Sorry I haven't done much player profiling. That's because this player is very tough to profile. A huge loser, long run, plays tons of flops, but he has no fear, which is easy to confuse with having no sense, but that's not quite the case with him.

I couldn't bear the thought of getting reraised on the river because I did not have a clear plan as to what I'd do then. This is one of those hands where the thinking, though valid, mushed itself into a quagmire of uncertainty and nonsensable possibilities, so I did a brainless call on the river.

He had a straight-flush, which means that my thinking was right all along. Pretty good bet from him on the river, since I HAD represented the full house, meaning he'd get three river bets out of me by betting out if that's what I had, whereas if he check-raised the river, I might not reraise, and heck, I might not even bet the river with an overpair, another hand I could very well have.

I don't know if his thinking went that deep. I doubt that it did, but hey, ya never know. Even big losers have moments of brilliance.

Tommy

10-16-2001, 01:36 PM
Nice hand

The other players thinking obviously did not go as deep as yours.

10-16-2001, 01:44 PM
I like your raise on the turn. You were right on with your thinking. I doubt the other player was thinking at this level.

Unfortunately in poker, brilliance is not always rewarded with

immeadiate monetary gains. I guess this also applies to life

in general. On the river you got very unlucky losing either to

a one outer or four outer. I don't think there is any reason

to raise on the river in case your read of the situation is wrong and your opponent does have a full house. Even against a weak

player there are few hands that you can beat that he will call

a raise with.

Bruce