PDA

View Full Version : I got confused.

10-16-2001, 05:04 AM
I was in a relatively loose 10-20 game tonight and was in a position I'm not used to.

I'm UTG and look down to see AJo. I raise in this spot 99.9% of the time. As I'm reaching for my chips I see that the person on my left is getting ready to toss two chips in. She's done this a few times and each time I raise she just throws in 4 chips instead of the two she was planning on. She plays ok beyond the flop though. I quickly get visions of 4 or 5 way action for 2 bets so I just throw in $10 as a limp. 8 players including the blinds take the flop.

Flop: 9 T J rainbow

it is checked to me and I'm not sure what to do. I decide to check it in hope that a late position player will bet so that I can checkraise to narrow the field. The woman on my left bets 3 players call and I just call like a chicken. was this the best play?

turn: 5 4th suit.

I was about to check again but then had visions of it getting checked around which can't be good. also, what if I check and the woman bets again and all three call? do I check raise 4 players on this board? should I check and call? I hate playing poker this passively.

I bet out. most of the players were taken aback by my bet which broke the 'flow' of the action thus far. 2 drop, two call.

River: 3

I'm bet out. get one caller and take down the pot. Is this the best river play? I think after my play on the turn its hard for anything but the nuts to raise me.

I was confused on every street on this hand. Maybe this is why playing AJo UTG in this type of game is just trouble. would most people fold it?

Next lap around I get AJo UTG again!!! I notice a few players getting ready to fold and raise it up. We take the flop 3 handed (a late caller and a blind) and I'm back in a position I'm much more comfortable playing. I think I'm done limping UTG with AJo.

Rob

10-16-2001, 06:55 AM
Preflop: I never raise with AJo in early position. The hand isn't that strong, and if you are reraised you are toast. I prefer to see the flop cheaply and conceal my high card holding.

Flop: I think the check raise plan is reasonable to get rid of gutshot draws. Once the bet comes to your left and three players call, I think the call is reasonable for the following reasons: (1) you won't lose anyone, (2) a raise will tie gutshot draws to the hand until the river, and (3) there are a lot of scare cards that can fall on the turn that would make it hard to follow through with a bet on the turn.

Turn: I like the bet with a blank. You can't give a free card here. I'd worry about a couple of Qs checking it through.

River: Seems like an automatic bet. You are not likely to be raised, and, give the board, your opponent is unlikely to bet if you check (even if he missed a draw).

10-16-2001, 01:42 PM
The easy play here is to muck this hand before the flop.

It does not play that well out of position in multiway pots and is just not strong enough to raise in early position in a 10 handed game as you tend to get called by hands that dominate you - eg: AQ,AK, JJ,QQ,KK,AA and also by hands like TT,99,88 etc which you a small dog against as well.

Muck it in this spot and avoid unpleasant situations like the one you found yourself in.