PDA

View Full Version : Does "source" of bankroll matter for moving up?

Wingnut
06-10-2004, 12:47 PM
I deposited $100 at Party and told myself I'd play .50/1 tables until I built up the bankroll for 2/4. My BR has been steadily working its way up, but the other night I decided on a whim to play in a 20/2 SNG, which I won, giving my BR a good boost.

My question is this - Should I keep that win seperate from my ring game winnings, and truly "earn" my way into the 2/4 games (going on the theory that if I beat the .50/1 games for long enough, my game is "ready" for the next level)? Or can I incorporate that money right into my bankroll and not worry about "earning" that part of it in ring games?

Thanks,
-David

deacsoft
06-10-2004, 12:50 PM
I 100% believe you'll learn much more by playing your way up. Make the little mistakes while they're cheap. Plug the leaks, learn winning consistant poker, and then when you feel you're ready, move up.

TazQ
06-10-2004, 12:53 PM
If you know you have what it takes to beat the higher limit games you're only hurting yourself by not moving up as fast as you can.

UMTerp
06-10-2004, 12:55 PM
If you feel that you're good enough to beat the $2-$4 game, go ahead and move up when your bankroll is ready, regardless of how you got there. Having said that, one win at a $20 SnG isn't going to increase your bankroll enough to go from $0.50-$1 to $2-$4. If you really don't want to go broke at $2-$4, I'd want at least 200BB ($800) in my account. Some people will suggest even more than that, but I think 200BB is sufficient if you're a winning player. If this money is "disposable" for you, I'd still want a minimum of 50BB ($200) in there, just to take a shot for a session.

deacsoft
06-10-2004, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you know you have what it takes to beat the higher limit games you're only hurting yourself by not moving up as fast as you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to respectfuly disagree with this advice. I don't see how it hurts at all take the "earn it" path. Everyone has leaks. As many of those as possible should be plugged before playing higher limits. Furthermore, 90% of players "think" they have what it takes to move up. Too much pride to admit to themselves or anyone else that they can still get better.

Wingnut
06-10-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
one win at a $20 SnG isn't going to increase your bankroll enough to go from $0.50-$1 to $2-$4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to imply that the winnings from a single SnG were making my bankroll, but it could just be looked at as money I don't have to earn in the ring games.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I supposed I still have a lot of learning to do, since I'm not even sure what my leaks are in order to go about fixing them. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Dov
06-10-2004, 05:58 PM
I agree with Deacsoft 100%.

TazQ
06-10-2004, 06:12 PM
I spent about 3 months studying books and playing at the .02/.04 tables. When I say studying, I mean spending 3-8 hours a day, reading every post on this forum, books, observing games, playing, etc.

I had no doubt in my mind I could beat the higher limits, so once I made $1.5k in bonus whoring and played 10k hands in Party .5/1 I moved up to the 5/10 short with a little pushing from a user on here.

I'm kicking myself for not moving up sooner. Like I said, if you can honestly look at yourself and assess your skills you should be moving up as fast as you can as long as you have the proper bankroll, regardless of where it came from.

Obviously everyone is different. Like I said though, if he can seriously look at his game, and has no doubt that he can beat the 2/4 then there is no reason he shouldn't give it at least a shot.

sthief09
06-10-2004, 06:15 PM
A lot of the more advanced players suggest moving up as fast as possible. You get better by playing against tougher competition. If your bankroll has gotten bigger then you can move up, as long as you think you can at least break even at the next level.

astroglide
06-10-2004, 06:21 PM
i think i'm the guy that TazQ is saying convinced him to move up. if you can beat it, do it. if you can't, don't. if you're unsure, whether or not you decide to do it depends on what you're willing to risk (or how much of a risk it is at all).

hutz
06-10-2004, 07:13 PM
You can easily beat the $1-$2, ya 'nut, so why not try the $2-$4 as long as you have the bankroll for it? Come play $3-6 with us this Saturday. It plays a lot like the Party $2-$4.

ZeeJustin
06-10-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how it hurts at all take the "earn it" path.

[/ QUOTE ]
If a strong player moves up slower than he should, he is clearly sacrificing a great deal of EV by playing smaller stakes.

[ QUOTE ]
90% of players "think" they have what it takes to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]
He didn't say "think", he said...
[ QUOTE ]
If you know you have what it takes

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Too much pride to admit to themselves or anyone else that they can still get better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone can get better. I prolly have a jizload of leaks in my game, but that sure as hell isn't gonna make me stay at micro limits until I plug those leaks.

ZeeJustin
06-10-2004, 07:42 PM
My guess is that you are underestimating what a solid bankroll consists of. You won a single 20+2 SNG, which is a net gain of $78, and those 19.5 big bets are now enough to give you a 2/4 bankroll? 19.5 big bets should be next to negligable in terms of bankroll considerations. Are you using a healthly bankroll? That of course means 200 big bets minimum unless you plan to rebuy when you go bust. I don't use the term minimum lightly though. I wouldn't consider using a bankroll of 400 big bets to be overly conservative at all.

davidross
06-10-2004, 07:57 PM
I don't think it matters unless you made a promise with yourself to only use game winnings. The bankroll requirements are to protect you from going broke, not to make you play to a certain capability.

PassiveCaller
06-10-2004, 09:18 PM
If you have to ask something like this I cant see how you are ready to move up.