PDA

View Full Version : Moneymaker's persona changed a lot...

SDA004
06-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Anyone else notice how much different Moneymaker's table image was last night. It seemed he was much more confident at the table and even was throwing his weight around. He no longer looked surprised when his bluffs worked. I mean its obvious why it happened, but I kind of thought Moneymaker would still have that quiet demeanor at the table. He still was quiet, but compared to his WSOP appearance he seemed much different.

eastbay
06-10-2004, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else notice how much different Moneymaker's table image was last night. It seemed he was much more confident at the table and even was throwing his weight around. He no longer looked surprised when his bluffs worked. I mean its obvious why it happened, but I kind of thought Moneymaker would still have that quiet demeanor at the table. He still was quiet, but compared to his WSOP appearance he seemed much different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very confident. And I thought he played very well, too. The guy can play.

eastbay

JARID
06-10-2004, 12:24 PM
I thought he played very well. Especially considering the fact that his psuedo celeb status gets him alot of resentment from the pros. He stays real level headed about everything. I was impressed.

-Jarid

BettnTibetn
06-10-2004, 12:30 PM
its time to stop saying he was a fluke, he played damn well in the WPT event...time to give the man his credit

highlife
06-10-2004, 12:38 PM
well he's better than varkoni, ill give him that.

wm r the rake
06-10-2004, 12:40 PM
i have to agree...he really showed no emotion on this one....he looked like he even lost some weight....way to go moneymaker!!!!

JARID
06-10-2004, 12:47 PM
I agree 100%. It made me cringe when that Canadian guy commented that "he seems to get really lucky" /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
What...are you kidding me...I'm sure it was his vast poker experience and skill that got him to the final table and all, but thats a pretty lame thing to say. Everyone gets a little lucky on the way to final table I have to believe.

-Jarid

toots
06-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Seems like a predictable maturation, from last year's "Gee, whiz, I'm just happy to be here for the first time" newby status, to a more seasoned player.

As far as I'm concerned, both personae were entirely appropriate given the circumstances. And, I'm glad for many reasons that he's shown both the ability to grow as a player, and play well (instead of looking like he's just catching good cards).

mack23
06-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Agree 100% A lot of that has to do with the fact that he has been playing a lot more tournament poker as well. But I was stunned when he moved in for 230,000 over the top of a 50,000 bet on the flop with 46x, no pair, no draw. Great poker! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

baggins
06-10-2004, 01:36 PM
agreed. I thought MM played very well on the WPT last night. In fact, he got busted when he put all his chips in with the best hand.

I liked his play particularly on the last hand. Both he and the other guy who wasn't Phil Gordon were short stacked against Gordon. The other guy moves in from the button, Gordon calls, and MM goes in w/ JJ. he clarifies with the tourney director that since he has more than the other short stack, if they both get busted this hand that MM will get 2nd place prize money. so he goes all in with his JJ.

MM has JJ. Other SS has T6 and PG has A7 (i think these are correct). MM probably thinks he has the best hand. if he sits this one out, and lets PG take down SS, then he still locks up 2nd place money, but the battle for 1st is that much harder. if he sits this hand out and SS doubles up, he might not even lock up 2nd place money, especially with the blinds and antes escalating relative to MM's short stack.

However, if he goes in here with a solid pair (and most likely the best hand) against both players, he has the chance to almost triple through and put himself in much better position to take 1st place. and if they both go out, he still locks up 2nd place money.

does anybody else have an opinion on this play?

If

kyro
06-10-2004, 01:43 PM
you could tell he wanted to play some cards, like 83s, but ended up throwing them away which i'm not sure he would have done last year.

My favorite move though, was the all-in with the trip 7's. If I had been in the other guy's shoes, I'd been so fed up with his stone cold bluffs, I'd have called him out on it. The announcers seemed surprised he'd throw it all in to win such a small pot, but I think he expected someone to call him on this one, and get owned.

SDA004
06-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Ya I definitely liked the all-in with trip 7's, especially with the fact that he "appeared"(to the other players) to be playing a loose/aggressive style of play. Like you said the other players might get fed up, or they may just assume that most players would check the trip 7's and call him because they think they have the best hand.

mack23
06-10-2004, 02:30 PM
You explained it very well. My opinion on the play is the same as yours: he did exactly what he should have done. He must have thought he had the best hand or he wouldn't have pushed... but at the same time you could tell he realized that he probably wouldn't win the hand. Great move though because you always assume the short stack is desperate and will bust out, and if the hooks hold up you have a much better shot heads-up. Bravo Chris!

At the same time Phil Gordon's play didn't impress me very much... I thought I saw a graphic during the show that in the day leading up to the final table he cracked opponent's AA 3 times to take a monster chip lead?!? Then he donated half of his monster stack on questionable plays before rearing back and taking over. Credit is due there for finishing everyone off but still I'm not blown away or anything while I was by seeing MM make the final table and do so well.

-Mack

secada
06-10-2004, 03:12 PM
I am glad someone posted this. I am new to this section of the forum but I bet that more than a few people teed off on him during the past year. (Not just on twoplustwo obviously...)

I thought he played great last night and if he hasn't earned the repect of the pros. by now than I guess he never will. Even the best of us can succumb to professional jealousy from time to time, I guess that's just the way it is. What was the reaction when Fossilman won? It will be interesting how much more we see of him (Moneymaker that is) as the years pass.

-secada

eastbay
06-11-2004, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

does anybody else have an opinion on this play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely agree with the play, either knowing the hole cards or not. I wouldn't consider any other, myself.

eastbay