PDA

View Full Version : Odds question

StuR
06-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Hello, I feel realy stupid for having to post this but I want to improve my game and am not sure if I'm interpreting pot odds properly.

Obviously I can calculate pot odds, my problem is working out if I should stay in or not - i.e if I have the correct odds to chase.

For example, if I have flopped a 4-flush should I be considering the odds for the turn card making my hand (4-1) or the odds of making the flush when all cards are out (2-1). If it is the latter should I start calculating effective odds??

Also as a lot of players at my level (.5/1) are loose passive how much do you adjust to include implied odds??

Any advice would be appreciated, ideally could someone give me rough numbers (I know it will depend on a lot of factors) for the major cases - e.g overcards, flush draw, OESD, gut straight draw etc..

Thank you very much.

Stu

WiredPear
06-11-2004, 10:24 AM
If you flop a 4-flush, you are 1.9:1 to make your flush by the river. However, it's slightly more than 4:1 to make it on the turn. What if the pot odds are giving you 3:1? Should you call. The answer is it depends. How likely is it your opponents will call once your flush card hits? Are they calling with scare cards on board? If so, you're getting enough implied odds to make a call. Another question to consider, is the board paired? If so, someone might be drawing to the full house. In that case, you want better pot odds.

Generally, at the lower limits there should be enough callers to go for your flush.