PDA

View Full Version : Improving Sklansky's System

mrwatson23
06-10-2004, 03:38 AM
In the second edition of Tournament Poker, Sklansky provides an improved version of the "System." Unlike the original, it takes into account stack size, blind size, players behind you, and limpers before you. How can this new system be improved upon for use at one table no-limit hold'em tournaments?

Thanks,
Mike Watson

Phill S
06-10-2004, 09:05 AM
The system is quite good when it comes to MTTs, i have used it several times, and can do quite well if combined with common sence. however i wouldnt use it for a sit and go. certainly not a single table one.

in the times i used it i got myself near the money, then switched to my normal play. this is because you cant quantify and calculate all descisions in the final stages, you need to use more than the formula.

when it comes to sit and goes, id say the above applies throughout the tournament. it is designed for use in large MTTs. the big one in the WSOP to be specific. you dont have the time to wait, it gets short and you cant just rely on push and goes. it also relies ona skill level you rarely find in a sit and go. namely the semi bluff blind steal. most of the time you dont want to be called.

now this is all in my opinion. you could try to perfect the use of the system, but id say that wont be an easy, and probably not even a profitable one. im sure its been tried before, and the fact of the matter is that if you could, and it had, then most, if not all players would use it. good luck to you, but imho it is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. mearly pretty to look at.