PDA

View Full Version : two simple 15-30 hands

10-14-2001, 06:18 PM
i post for my first hand in the cutoff in a live 9 handed 15-30 game.

im dealt A6o. i dont know these players, except the button who is loose. utg calls, folded to me, i check, button calls, blinds call.

the flop is 589 rainbow. sb bets, bb calls, utg calls, i call, button calls.

turn is an offsuit A. everyone checks to me, i bet, button folds, sb calls, bb and utg fold.

river is a 5. sb checks, i bet.

any comments?

-------------------------------------------------------

same table, 15 minutes later, im three off the button with ATo.

i open-raise. button calls (pretty loose kid). bb calls.

flop is KQ5 two spades (i dont have a spade). bb checks, i bet, button calls, bb folds.

turn is 9 spades. i bet, button calls.

river is an offsuit 2. i check.

any comments?

-----------------------------------------------

results later.

10-14-2001, 06:36 PM
First hand I like the way you played it. Only thing that I would have done differently is raise preflop. I want to get the button and hopefully the blinds out. My Ace high might be the hand so i want to protect it and isolate the limper with positon for only one small bet.

2nd I like everything up until the turn. That's th eonly questionable decision. It depends on my oppponent. Nothing is concrete here. I sometimes bet here, unless I know my opponent would not have called the flop unless he has something that he will not release most of the time. It depends. I'd like to hear what others have to say about the turn bet.

10-14-2001, 07:51 PM
First hand I think was the best way to play it, given the way everyone was responding you have to assume that you have the best hand, unless the sb was waiting to check-raise you with some weird hand, you had to bet out on the end with your pair of aces.

The second hand is sort of strange. The turn bet was probably only a marginally good bet given the number of people left in the hand. Seeing that you were probably going to be called with your ace high on the river you really had no choice but to check, I think both hands were played as well as good be hoped by anyone.

10-14-2001, 10:47 PM
I would raise preflop when posting in the cutoff with an A6 against 1 limper. If you expect to be called in several places anyway, I would just check like you do, since this hand is going to play best against 1-2 opponents. The rest of the hand, I play the same as you do.

With the AT, I would be concerned when the button who called the preflop raise cold then calls you on the KQx twotone flop. Depending on the player, I might check fold the turn or bet like you do: the more passive the opponent, the more likely I check-fold. After you get called on the turn and miss the river, you can only beat a spade draw. Use your judgement and call a bet if you think he will bet a busted flush draw more often than the pot odds warrant a call. Not too helpful I know, but without position this hand is real difficult to play.

10-14-2001, 11:08 PM
thanks coilean. lately ive found your advice to be some of the most sound and practical advice on this forum. really appreciate your posts.

i did consider raising in the first hand but figured the chances were too high that the button and/or blinds would come along anyways. this 15-30 plays pretty loose usually.

as for the second hand i thought the 3 spades on board might be enough to scare the button off a Q, and if it didnt (and i didnt get raised out on the turn), i figured the continued show of strength would keep him from trying to bluff me on the river when i inevitably checked. normally i wouldve given this hand up on the turn (or even the flop), but i figured since we were heads up i would bluff one street longer.

10-15-2001, 12:19 AM
I'm surprised no one has questioned the call on the flop with the first hand (A6o). You had a gutshot and an overcard and were getting 8-1 on the call. The reasons I don't like the call are:

1) The button could raise, and even if everyone called the raise, you would have only gotton odds of 6.5 - 1 on the street. Also, the SB could reraise, making you call 2 more small bets at 7.5 - 1 at best. I won't even mention the button capping it.

2) Even in your best case scenario, with the button calling behind you, you are getting 9-1 odds on your call. You have 7 outs which allow you to call a turn bet, thats about 6-1. Figuring that the implied odds cancel out your made hand getting run down, it now looks like a good call. But wait a minute. Your straight may not be good, or might only be good for half. Everyone plays JT, and someone could have another 6, maybe even with a T. Furthermore, a pair of aces certainly doesn't have to be good. The small blind or the button could already have 2 pair or a set, and hands like A5, A8, and A9, get played almost everytime in the type of game you describe.

I believe your flop call to be a mistake.

10-15-2001, 01:45 AM
mike,

First Hand: If I post late I make an automatic raise with A-rag offsuit if no one else is in. And if I don’t post I fold this hand against all but the weakest, most timid and predictable single limper. However, having posted, I wonder if your best play is to raise a single limper before the flop? It helps if you know the limper and the blinds but this should be the best against generic opponents.

Anyway, I think your flop call is OK as long as it looks like the button won’t raise. On the turn I like the bet with top pair and inside straight draw once everyone checks. You love it when you find yourself head up.

On the river it would be pansy poker to check when the five pairs.

Second Hand: On the flop against two opponents you have to bet mostly because this is a flop that looks like it has hit you. You hate being called but at least it is now head up.

The turn card looks scary to you even if you have a legit hand. The button should know that if you check it doesn’t mean you are giving up but might be in a check and call mode with a decent pair. This might slow him down when he has a weak pair. So I might check the turn and hope he checks. If he bets you generally have to call most opponents.

Given you bet the turn and he called checking on the river is my play. He won’t lay down a worse hand but may check a better one.

Regards,

Rick

10-15-2001, 01:55 PM
first hand sb called and i showed and that was good. i guess he had a 9 or something.

second hands button checked behind and my AT was good. he had A7o (!!!) with the A of spades.

thanks to all for your replies. very useful.