PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with crazy games?

10-14-2001, 05:29 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering what the deal is with wild games where 5 or more players are calling two or three bets with any suited hand (like J-3 or Q-6) and many junk type hands like J-8 or J-7 or 10-8 or A-6 or even K-3. I played in a game like this today and almost every hand was called on the end. In other words, almost all pots went to the end with a showdown. Does the great player really have a significant edge in this type of game or is he better off finding somewhat tighter games where hand reading and other skills can be much better put to use?

10-14-2001, 05:45 AM
These games are great because you'll be called when you make your big hands. Or simply called to the river when you flop Jacks with AJ and your opponent has J7.

Just be prepared to take many beats and have bigger swings in your stack size while playing in loose games. It won't be uncommon for your AJ to be beaten by 92 when the board is

J,8,2,3,9

with the 9 coming on the river.

Just be sure to get the maximum amount when you've got the best of it.

10-14-2001, 05:59 AM
Mark,

The deal is that, yes these are still profitable games, but they maybe require more patience and they definately require a larger bankroll. I think many great players will tell you that they prefer a more passive game, as they are able to use more of their skills and they don't have to endure the larger standard deviations inherent in these games. In wild games you're just going to have to show down the best hand most of the time, so you better make sure that you're playing only quality hands taking position into consideration and making sure that the others are paying when you "have the best of it" and conversely, paying too much when they "have the worst of it."

Your swings will be greater but so will your hourly rate(if you play well enough). If these games are too uncomfortable for whatever reason, whether bankroll or otherwise, look for a more passive game, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Good luck,

Mike

10-14-2001, 06:16 AM
'If you can keep your head while those all around you are losing theirs.......'

Rudyard Kipling I believe said it first and best...

10-14-2001, 07:23 AM
In games like the ones you describe, many raises and many players in. Keep in mind that you should play fewer starting hands. Not more like some people suggest.

You should only play premium hands. The reason is that drawing hands like medium suited connectors and small pairs just don't get the implied odds they need to be profitable.