PDA

View Full Version : Confused on the turn...

10-14-2001, 02:14 AM
i get Qh-Qs 2nd UTG.

UTG folds.

I raise.

Mid pos. cold calls.

Big Blind(not a bad player) calls.

FLOP:

Js-9c-3h

bb checks, i bet, mid pos raises, BB cold calls, i 3-bet, mid pos calls, BB caps! i call, mid pos calls.

What do you think BB has? At this point I was worried about J-9, J-3s, or maybe 3-3. However, she didnt look too happy about my pre-flop raise. At this point I put mid. pos. on something like K-J.

TURN:

Js-9c-3h--5c

BB checks!?!?

Now what? Now I figure the BB for something Like Q-T or T-8s. Is that reasonable?

I bet.

Comments?

10-14-2001, 02:40 AM
nf,

Good bet, BB likely has a straight draw and capped the flop to get more money in and maybe even get a free card, which you are correct not to give her. If you get check-raised on the turn... well...cross that bridge when you get to it.

JMHO,

Mike

10-14-2001, 09:06 AM
I think your reading this hand correctly. Good bet on the turn. I agree other play has a decent J and bb has straight draw probably.

10-14-2001, 11:21 AM
TURN:

Js-9c-3h--5c

BB checks after capping the flop.

I bet.

both call my turn bet.

the river is a 5h making the board

RIVER:

Js-9c-3h--5c--5h

BB checks, I bet, mid pos calls, BB folds disgustedly.

My QQ takes it down.

BB says the river saved me(she flopped 2 pair) and she was afraid that mid pos player had a set and that is why she slowed down.

I believe her, but why would she think mid pos had a set?

Since he raised into her after my first flop bet, that is indication of a weaker, more vulnerable hand, not a set. However, if he had done that with a set, he would have 4-bet me on the flop as well since she had already called 2 cold. I thought it was pretty obvious what I had(overpair).

This is an interesting facet of play for me.

What does BB have?--I was right at first, but then confused by the turn check.

What does BB think I have?--overpair

What does BB think that guy has?--This I didnt consider deeply, I thought it was obviously a Jack by the way the hand played, and thought she would assume the same.

What does that guy think I have?--All he knows is he has top pair and thats a good hand in hold'em, but its only worth one raise on the flop, because you cant re-raise with just one pair. Thats almost surely his thought process.

I guess she figured (mistakenly) he knew I had an overpair, and his raise meant he beat that. In reality, neither of them could know I had an overpair until I 3-bet the flop(i would bet AK into 2 players on this flop), and since he slowed down after that it seems obvious he didnt have a set. Also, I would have played JJ the same way.

10-14-2001, 01:02 PM
The answer to why she would think that is not everybody plays poker well. Just because you know sometihng doesn't mean other people do. She is playing scared. Sounds like she plays somewhat loose preflop and weak tight postflop.

Even though she may have had that hand. Not definate some people just say that. Your thinking is correct. Most of the time it gets checked to you there your gold. Bet it and make them pay. Sure looked like a straight draw, she might have been fibbing. And she doesn't even consider making a crying call with top 2. I know the 5's are out there but sounds like she never even considered this like she was on a busted draw. You could possibly have had AJ. But i have seen players like your describling so it is possible.