PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to move?

05-12-2002, 02:45 PM
I live in Norwalk, CT.

OK, so I'm not a professional hold'em player. There. I said it. I have a JOB (can I say that here without getting booted off?).

But I do pretty well for myself, both in business and at the tables.

And there's the problem. Which "tables?" Oh yeah--the top of the heap 15/30 and 20/40 tables at Foxwoods and Mohegan.

For hold'em up here, that's as big as it gets. The Taj, as much as I like making the trip, is a fairly major undertaking.

I want to play $30/$60 with an eye toward moving up from there. But that's not within the realm of possibility BASED ON MY KNOWLEDGE OF POKER IN THE AREA.

Do I need to move? Or do I need to play $75/$150 HOSE at Foxwoods and sit out the majority of the time?

Who am I kidding? That's too high even if it were just hold'em.

And no, I don't have romantic visions of Joey Knish's place and all of that. I'm just trying to find a game that doesn't feel like I'm killing time.

05-12-2002, 03:28 PM
I have had the same problem, in the same part of the world, from time to time.

I do not love poker, I love playing. The 10-20 game downtown for instance, is for people who don't know how to play.

Really, I would rather give it my best shot and lose to someone better, than screw around making rent at $15-$30.

It seems the reason fish play in CT, is to gamble. They hold out hope they might make a score.

I suspect, and this is just a guess, that in some super-high games in Vegas, people like to play.

I sometimes wonder, is there not a less-volatile game than hold'em, razz perhaps, which does not need to be so volatile, and allow any two cards to win?

Somewhere, there are people who play, even though they don't think any two cards can win. Paradise 10-20 is fun, but it is still 10-20.

You are killing time, but that's better than starting life over in The Garden of Eden.

eLROY

05-12-2002, 03:51 PM
...honestly, seeing as I don't want to quit, do I need to move?

I mean, it sounds like you've been down this road a bit.

Am I just bashing my head against the wall?

05-12-2002, 04:55 PM
Rushmore- Quit the job and move to Vegas to play with the Babe. East Coast is too expensive, anyway.

05-12-2002, 05:11 PM

05-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Poker is played for two reasons,

1) Cuz ya like playin' around, or

2) Cuz ya need the money.

If you don't need the money, or if there is another way you can make more than the size at which your opponents are willing to make errors, and if your opponents are so silly it's boring, you haven't got much reason to play.

eLROY

05-12-2002, 08:28 PM
There are plenty of non-professionals here. I think you know that. /images/smile.gif

Why not take up stud?

05-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Why is it that they play stud so much bigger than hold'em in some of these places?

eLROY

05-12-2002, 09:04 PM
Because stud is, like, so much more fun. /images/smile.gif The high antes in big stud games increase the short-term luck factor, which means that the contributors have more winning days. The contributors dictate what the game will be. $30/60 stud/8 has become popular in my area. If the guys who fuel the game decide that they want to play half Acey-Deucy and half 7/27, I'll be right there with them.

05-12-2002, 10:57 PM
What if he doesn't own any gold chains or warm-up suits? Should he wait for Bob's hand-me-downs?

05-13-2002, 02:49 AM
3Bet- I don't know Rushmore's style, but it would be real hard to top anything Morgan could wear! After all, not everyone has clothes that match chip colors! If Rush wants to hang around the Babe, he will certainly need to look good sans gold chains. Babe

05-13-2002, 12:02 PM
It depends on local poker culture. Where I live (the San Francisco Bay Area), you can't get a stud game bigger than 9-18 going for love nor money, but they're happy to play hold'em up to at least 40-80. Down south in LA, there's lots of high-limit stud, even though hold'em is the main game. You gotta go to the Gulf Coast to find much pot-limit Omaha. And so on.

05-13-2002, 12:15 PM
You're right. It's inexplicable.

And I've never seen the phenomenon exist anywhere else.

05-13-2002, 01:13 PM

05-13-2002, 01:49 PM

05-13-2002, 02:05 PM
OK, so I'm not a professional hold'em player. There. I said it. I have a JOB (can I say that here without getting booted off?).

Well, another pro poker player named AndyB (not the one that posts here) is Jewish and learned a trick from his religion: he writes j*b and w*rk - the words that you neither speak nor write.

Regards, Lee

05-13-2002, 03:02 PM
Too funny. If he starts his own religion based on not saying or writing these two words, I'll be his first follower.

05-15-2002, 10:46 PM
drive on up for the no limit at Turning Stone . . .you'll leave broke . . trust me