PDA

View Full Version : SNG Beginner Questions

StellarWind
06-09-2004, 04:47 PM
I am a successful 2/4 limit holdem ring player. I play limit holdem SNGs on occasion for fun and to develop my short-handed play. I've read TPFAP once and a couple of other tournament books but mostly I just make sensible adjustments to my ring game.

So far I've made a few dollars. Nothing statistically significant.

Is there some SNG equivalent to the 2BB/hour rule-of-thumb? How often should a strong player at a given level expect to finish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? Remember this is a limit holdem question.

I play $5+1. I assume that is the easiest game to beat but maybe I'm wrong? I'd hate to play for a long time and then be told that $10+1 is easier to beat because the lower percentage fee outweighs the tougher opponents.

Based on my being a winning 2/4 player, what level SNG should I be playing once I have a reasonable amount of SNG experience?

Beavis68
06-09-2004, 05:05 PM
From what I have read on here, people look at ROI, and I think 30% is a decent target.

I assume you are playing on party poker, you may want to try ultimatebet or pokerstars. They have a better blind structure than party, and the vigorish is half or what party charges.

holeplug
06-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Ya, you definitely want to get away from that 5+1 structure cause it kills your profits. Either do the 10+1 or switch to stars or UB and do the 5+.50.

jedi
06-09-2004, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've read TPFAP once and a couple of other tournament books but mostly I just make sensible adjustments to my ring game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read it again. Then play some more. Then read it again and again. I don't think I'll ever stop reading TPFAP. I learn or relearn something every time.

[ QUOTE ]

I play $5+1. I assume that is the easiest game to beat but maybe I'm wrong? I'd hate to play for a long time and then be told that $10+1 is easier to beat because the lower percentage fee outweighs the tougher opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

ARRRRGH! No, the 5+1 is the toughest game to beat BECAUSE of the extra fee. Play 10+1. The opponents are no tougher. I've even heard that 20+2 tournaments are the same way.

You can do what I'm doing. Start with 30 Buy ins for a level, then when you've moved up to 30 buy ins for the next level, move up. If you ever fall to 30 buy ins for the previous level, move down. I started out with enough for 30 buy ins at $5+.50 and played mostly 2 table tournaments at Stars. Now I've moved up to the $10+1 level, and am about to move up again. Good luck!

Oh, and though I'm a limit ring game player, I prefer NL tournaments if that helps. It seems that you can use more weapons but your loss is also fixed to your buy-in.

Hood
06-10-2004, 05:30 AM
30% ROI and 40% ITM seem like good targets, with an even spread over 1sts, 2nds and 3rds.