PDA

View Full Version : Comments?

10-13-2001, 06:03 AM
10-handed, I limp UTG with KdTd, since the game is very loose, and there are 2 (very loose) players who will pay off with almost anything.

Very loose player in early middle position (EMP) raises, MP, cut-off and button cold call, both blinds fold.

The flop comes Jd Qc 2c. I check, EMP bets, only button folds, I check-raise, rest call.

Turn is the Ad. I bet, EMP raises, MP cold calls, rest fold, I 3-bet, EMP caps, MP cold calls again, I call.

River is As. I check, EMP bets, MP calls, I call.

Comments?

Regards

10-13-2001, 07:31 AM
I don't like playing the KTs UTG ever (I suspect not many will). You have 9 players left to act who can raise, and every hand that dominates you will play in a loose game (better players would be less likely to play KJ, AT, and maybe even KQ from up front or against a large field).

With the preflop raiser likely to bet, I like the check raise with the big draw which traps the field for two bets on the installment plan. Sometimes this backfires if EMP reraises and drives some players out, trashing your implied odds, but I think it's a risk worth taking. It sure would be a lot more fun to be playing this hand from the rear (hint, hint /images/wink.gif): you would love to take a free card if don't make a straight or a diamond on the turn, as your hand has little showdown value with which to bet the turn hoping for a free river.

You have to love your situation on the turn: capped betting when you have the nuts with the nut flush redraw.

On the river, I hope you managed to split the pot with EMP, since you probably lost otherwise (unless he is really really loose or misread his hand).

10-13-2001, 08:04 AM
KTs is definitely not a play for me in this spot as you just don't know what will happen behind you at this stage.

I don't fancy drawing with this hand in a 3, 4, 5 or even 6 way raised pot and would consider the long term implications of making this play regularly disasterous. Moreover, if you like KTs upfront in a loose game then what other hands do you like upfront in typical or even tight games, I usually don't even play KQ or AJ upfront cos they can be nothing more than trash in a lot of situations, KTs therefore IMO is supertrash and as such must hit the muck in early position unless the game is super loose passive.

The rest of the hand - I like the checkraise on the flop as long as the bettor is not solid and/or aggressive in which case a reaise might shut too many people out for the play to be profitable.

The turn is yum yum time for ya

The river is either 'goldarnit why did I play this stupid hand upfront anyway' time or you are looking at a split or if you are lucky AK and some other silly holdings that you can beat.

10-13-2001, 12:13 PM
Too loose up front to be playing K10s. The rest of the hand I like the way you played. The river is brutal after him capping it on the turn your most certainly beat. Praying for AK or tie. Make the crying call.

10-13-2001, 12:21 PM
I would never fold this hand up front in any game that was not very aggressive or very tough. I think folding it in a loose game is a mistake. I am always one of if not the tightest player in the live games I play.

I like the way you played this hand. The only debatable decision is the river call, but that seems like a good idea. Raising the river is a bad idea.

10-13-2001, 01:16 PM
You must play in very loose games then because this is condidered out of line in the games I play. But I do play in vegas where it doesn't get much tighter.

But no matter where you play this is probably a mistake. Exception may be a loose and extremely passive game. You probably have big swings playing so loose up front. In the first 3 positions you starting requirements should be very tight. It avoids you running into big hand behind you. Where even if you hit your K or 10 it just might get you in more trouble.

10-13-2001, 07:04 PM
Pokerguy,

I play this hand almost always in early position in my games. While my games are often weak-passive, they are not always, and I for one am going to reconsider entering pots in early position with this hand, at worst I realize that I won't be giving up too much and I WOULD like to avert the long-term "disasterous" results that Payoff referred to. BTW, I rarely play any other "group 4" hands in early position, don't know what I thought was so special about this one('cept that maybe its Big Al's hand, for anyone who knows him; [he's in Chicago now]).

When I began playing, it took a long time in many cases to eliminate certain hands from my "repitoire" in certain situations. I sometimes learn slow, but I do learn. Thanks to you and the other posters. BTW, (especially John Feeney, if you're viewing) last night I mucked that infernal A-Qo for an early position raiser(who is incredibly weak-tight)on my immediate right, I was no sooner cursing myself and all you guys for mucking a hand which I'm pretty sure would have won, when on the very next hand I was confronted by the EXACT same situation('cept we were in even earlier position)....I mucked it ....missed the flop....felt better. No, not the first time I've been able to do this, but in light of everything I'm learning on this forum I was extra sensitive to the situation. I got this same player off a Q w/ a Q-high flop w/ my pocket J's earlier and it FELT difficult to avoid these other situations when I wanna just outplay everybody (especially this guy).

Anyway, just want to say thanks to everyone once again and I'll stop ramblin' now.

Mike

10-13-2001, 09:30 PM
Mike,

I'm glad to be of assistance in helping you avoid "disasterous" results. I'm sure you'll help me to avoid some in the future as well.

10-14-2001, 12:13 PM
Why does everyone love the checkraise on the flop? You are out of position and there is flush draw on the board (two clubs) with multiple callers.