PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 hand, turn questions

10-12-2001, 06:22 PM
Hi, I was playing the other night and had an interesting decision on the turn I think I messed up. I had pocket tens on the button and a decent player open raised in middle position. It was folded to me and I 3-bet. The blinds folded and he called.

Flop was 234 all clubs. I did not have the ten of clubs. He checked, I bet, he called. The turn was the ten of clubs, giving me a set and four clubs on the board. He bet into me, what do you do and why? results later.

Thanks,

Jeff gomberg

10-12-2001, 06:49 PM
If you think you are beat for sure, you can still call for your 1:3.5 chance to beat a flush when being offered almost 6:1 to call. Given that he raised preflop and is a decent player, his chances of holding a big club should be high. But since he knows that you know that, he might try running a play.

If you miss on the river, you just have to use your player knowledge and best judgement to determine if he is more than 10% likely to bluff turn and river without a club. Against most decent players who are not too tricky, I think you should call the river without improving only often enough to keep the table from thinking you are a pushover, as you are usually beat.

10-12-2001, 07:05 PM
I just call. He probably has a big club but you have many redraws so I think you have to call. You could raise and then just check the river if the board doesn't pair but by doing this you take the chance that he has the Ac and will three bet you so it is an expensive draw for you. The real tough decision is when a brick hits on the river and he still bets. I think you should probably fold in that case.

10-12-2001, 07:38 PM

10-12-2001, 07:39 PM
not that there's anything to ignore. . .

Where is that damn unpost button?

10-12-2001, 07:41 PM
I am the last person in the world you would want advice from on how to play a set of tens with a possible flush board.

:-)

10-12-2001, 07:48 PM
I called, b/c I had a draw to a full and he could have been making a play. Turn was a 5 not a club. He bet again. At this point, I was pretty sure I was beat, but called anyway, and he showed his AK (no club) and took it down with the straight.

I might be results oriented, but I like the turn raise because if he does not have the Ace, he'll just call if he has a club and fold if not. Then I get an extra bet on river if I fill up or a free checkdown if not.

Thanks for the comments,

Jeff Gomberg

10-13-2001, 02:23 AM
But look at the respect you command, Andy. As I write this, 23 people have clicked that post, the "*NM* be damned.

10-13-2001, 01:21 PM
I think maybe the title was catchy and people were searching for the proof.

10-13-2001, 06:20 PM
Jeffery,

As is the case with so many of us(and I admit that I'm certainly not an exception), I think that you are being result-oriented. There is nothing wrong with your call on the turn here. The guy bet a hand with only three outs to the whole pot, that's a good thing, usually. In this case the guy got lucky. Though a raise on the turn might make someone with a non-nut flush muck, sometimes this same type of player may check the river anyway, in fear of being raised on the river by the nuts, or to induce a bet by a weaker hand(a possible scenario of you losing only one bet when beat). If he's bluffing....let him....if you're up against the ace of clubs it may cost you three bets to try to fill, which reduces your pot odds by quite a bit, of course now you can pretty safely muck on the river, but it has now cost you an extra bet, when for the same price, you can see his hand.

Beats like these are brutal,and we can often see,after the fact, how a different play might have won the hand, but we can't alter our game so much to prevent the odd bad beats without costing ourselves money and pots in too many other routine situations.

JMHO,

Mike