PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 hand

10-12-2001, 03:51 PM
i post in the cutoff for my first hand of the session.

it's folded to me with A9o and i raise. button folds and both blinds call. the sb is a weak player who seems to always be winning despite playing many many hands. bb also plays a lot of hands.

the flop is AQJ. they check to me and i bet and they both call.

the turn is a K. they check to me and i check.

the river is a 8. sb bets out immediately, almost before the card falls. bb calls. i fold.

please comment.

10-12-2001, 05:14 PM
When they both checked to me on the turn, I would have bet to try to win the $90. Hard for anyone to call without a T, even a weak player. And if I were the sb, I'd now bet the river after both my opponents checked the turn.

10-12-2001, 06:05 PM
mike,

With two opponents and this board I think you would do better to bet the turn with the intention of folding to a checkraise and checking behind on the river.

That being said, it sure looks like you are beat here. I might have called a single bettor but overcalling is almost certainly wrong. Fold in this spot.

Regards,

Rick

10-12-2001, 06:07 PM
Andy,

I agree with the turn bet but would you overcall the river given he didn't bet the turn. ~ Rick

10-12-2001, 06:56 PM
I don't think you can overcall here. I think there's a good chance neither player has a T (I think about 70% of players would bet out on the turn if they had the T), but someone should have 2 pair with an AKQJ out there, which also beats you. Your hand is only a bluff catcher at this point, and the BB is clearly not bluffing.

10-12-2001, 07:30 PM
I would fold rather than over-call, but I don't think two pair is a likely hand (though not impossible) for either opponent. (At least in my game it would be unlikely, or they would have been heard from by now.) I would definitely call a single bettor.

10-12-2001, 08:23 PM
In a situation like this, I ask myself, what two cards could each of these players have that I could beat? Then I fold.

10-13-2001, 12:24 AM
well of course the sb had A2o and the bb had Q5o. i wouldve split the pot with the sb. i guess my check on the turn was pretty awful, but i thought i was being so smart by foiling a likely checkraise. when i folded the river i hardly thought for a second about it. it seemed clear to me that i was beat by either a T for broadway or two pair.

what the hell is wrong with me? as ive improved overall the past few months, ive also become just this timid little weak tight wimp, esp. on the river. yuck.